SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
garyz8bpnw

Where do you draw inspiration from in your cottage garden design?

garyz8bpnw
7 years ago

I get a lot of garden design ideas from outtings here. However, Giant distractions abound here in PNW to gardening at home (Anderson/Watson Lake hike, Mt Baker volcano area).

And there can be rocks like you hope not to find in your yard (Mt Pilchuck hike, Granite Falls area. Mt Loop Highway).

I've found and levered out a Giant-ish one+ ton rock already out from 2.5' deep in a timber bamboo pit I was digging.

But after it got rained on (by a hose) I discovered it was a keeper and so worth the dig. Hoping to find another < 2 ton size. Today's dig is in the same area.

The True Temper Digging Rod is TRUEly Amazing! Dare I say it's a Giant of a lever? Didn't even bend it playing with this rock. AND feel fortunate to have not skewered my foot or fallen onto that sharp end, when digging those deeper pits. I don't plan/paine on it either!

I've successfully evacuated a car muffler and tale pipe. I've also found a leather glove and was relieved to not find human (or any other) bones in it. And I'm still looking for the diamond to pay for this whole project or ring (praying for handless also). And I'm more realistically hopinh to not find Ancient Native American Artifacts, which could tie up project completion for years. Some people have found Woolly Mammoth tusks out here, which I'd be fine with.

Although a Giant dig I have however reduced my odds of finding goodies by only planning on digging maybe 60-70% of my yard and only with 1 to 4.5' below the surface. Lost to me so far are under the house, driveway, walkways and other cement pours. I had my utility areas marked but cut the Comcast cable line to the house by mistake anyway.

I also nicked, but didn't cut quite through to metal on that main giant burried power cable to the house. Luckily the rock strikes have dulled my metal power conductive iron digging rod! The nicking episode and foot fear have convinced me not to sharpen it.

Hikes are however also a source of garden design inspiration. Bear Grass (a lily relative) is also a beautiful yard plant Giant flower heads, for a grass leaf like plant, on 3-4' stems. (Ira Springs Trail, Snoqualmie Pass I-90 area).

My double decker Wine Barrel waterfall to our pond sounds like photo below with eyes closed. But is perhaps less impressive visually than this >400' waterfall (Comet Falls Hike, Mt Rainier volcano area).

So as I screen soil I dream. In summer/fall phase mature hydrangea will all touch.

But Spring phase starting with this year looks quite different. And the Giant number of Hyacinth in this small space (115+) add fragrant memories and mini meadow of Mt Hood (a PNW volcano too) Daffodill add bluer leaf contrast to the green and Moongarden like nocutral intrique.

The maroon brown Hydrangea 'Selina' leaves and flame colored tulips get you primed for the hot red lacecap flowers to follow and mass of driveway walkway and street walkway red Crocosmia 'Lucifer' and dwarf yellow Dayliy 'Fragrant Returns' front yard margins to follow as the seasons temperature and colors heat up. And a large clump of Red Hot Poker. A sea of waving Japanese Windflowers in soft pink and white and wide runner of purple Liatris 'Blazing Star' are already rising up amongst these Spring flowers. The bulbs ate just weed suppressing ground cover and pleasant distraction until the main event gets underway.

A Giant source of my design inspiration has been the many public gardens I visit, with South Atlantic and Pacific Ocean islands, and Japan and China giving (sub)tropical insights. Visits Europe and a old Readers Digest book entitled "A Garden for all Seasons" has given me temperate garden insights, and especially how to get multi-season beauty from each site. I gifted my book to a family member, but luckily you can still find a few used copies online ... don't hesitate. I've read and owned many books. The "Sunset Guide to Western Gardening" has also proven highly helpful..

With our climate being similar to that of the England mainland, and gardeners there having tried growing about everything in their limited space, I have come to trust their plant growing info sites and catalog information the most for the Seattle area.

I also gave gotten tons of help from fellowships Houzz Gardeners with helpful relevant experience to share.

Thus, I share back in thanks.

Comments (9)

Sponsored