SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debbie_jean_brown

Inspired by Shades: what do you do with your smaller homes hallway?

Debbie B.
7 years ago

My house has a "dead zone," i.e. my hallway. I absolutely hate it because it's the one area of my home where I feel like no matter what I do to pretty it up, it will never be as attractive as the rest of my house.

Of course, a hallway is a place you walk through to get somewhere else. Nevertheless, I'd like it to be a pleasant, perhaps even happy, journey. :-)

I had an idea a few months back, but put it on the back burner because there are so many other parts of my house that need more immediate attention.

BUT...I've been so very, very inspired by Chris's (aka Shades of Idaho) stunning full wall mural/mosaic that I wanted to find out what the rest of you do with your hallway space in terms of decor. Or any other awkward space you are finding difficult to make look better.

For those of you who haven't seen the latest photo of Chris's beautiful vineyard glasswork:

Now, THIS is a hallway I'd make a point of walking down every chance I got! Chris, I don't have the words to say how in awe I am looking at this...your talent is beyond amazing and your work in progress is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.

Unfortunately, we can't all be as talented as our friend Shades_of_Idaho. I'm sure not! I love art, I look at art, I go to museums, I appreciate art...but I can't DO art, lol! My mother was a good painter and one of my brothers can draw anything, but the rest of us can barely draw a stick man, haha!

So obviously, I can't do a wall like Chris's. Here's a picture of my hallway as it currently looks:

This pic is a little deceiving because it's not nearly as light as in the photo. I lightened it up just so you all could actually see it. On the left, between the Sterilite container and the dryer, is the bathroom. Next, washer/dryer in hallway, which I hate. On the right is the back door that doesn't work, then the unattractive wall thingy that holds my mop, broom, etc. Beyond the washer is my room, and Joy's room is at the end. The little bump out just beyond the brooms is the electrical panel. The lovely caution tape on the floor is where there's been water damage. Those little cabinets above the laundry are the only storage in the entire house.

So I'll tell you my do-able idea and my somewhat less do-able idea. I'd love your honest feedback.

Do-able: first, paint the walls white, the same white I used in the kitchen (and relocate the brooms). Second, when I get the new flooring, the same vinyl plank hardwood looking floor I'm going to use in the LR and K will go down the hallway. Next, a new, brighter light fixture and possibly a second light fixture. Fourth time, when I can afford to get back steps and fix the door, put in either French doors or a slider to allow natural light to come in. Finally, the piece de resistance: Some beautifully framed large black and white photographs of historic Cheney: farms, the early town, the Palouse from the air, etc. And perhaps some museum type plaques with information on the history of this historic area.

The dream plan would be all of the above. But in addition, I would build a larger back deck and enclose it, and then relocate the washer and dryer there and make it a laundry room. In the space where they currently are, I'd ideally expand the bathroom, but if that's not possible, I'd put in some really nice looking storage.

So...what do you think of my ideas, and what is in YOUR hallway???

:-)

Comments (12)