SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whitelacey1

Bird ID, please!

Whitelacey
7 years ago

I saw a bird in my yard today that I have never seen before. It was all black with white striping on its sides. It's underside was all white, as well. I suspect it was a female due to its inconspicuous coloring. It was a bit smaller than a cardinal and was eating at my suet feeder. I am in extreme southwest Ohio. Any ideas? Thanks!

Comments (29)

• ZachS. z5 Platteville, Colorado
    7 years ago

From the description I might guess a woodpecker, possibly a downy? They are fairly small. But since we don't have cardinals here, I don't know how they compare. They are often seen at suet feeders.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Not a Downy but about that size. I have lots of Downys in my yard. The stripes were along the length of its body not across its wings like a Downy. I wonder if its migrating on its way to Canada. Thanks, though!

• catherinet
    7 years ago

Hmmm......male towhee? .......although I don't think they visit suet feeders. Were the stripes wide or narrow......many or few?

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Not a Towhee. I've got lots of those, too. The stripes were narrow about three staggered on each side from mid-wing on down toward the tail.

• catherinet
    6 years ago

How about a kingbird?

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Not a Kingbird. I have those around but I did look up female and young. This bird was about that size but the stripes were very distinct unlike the Kingbird. I am thinking it was a migrating bird as I have been watching birds for many years and I have never seen one like this.

• Marcy
    6 years ago

Isn't it exciting to see a new bird!!!

• Vicissitudezz
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Possibly a Black and White Warbler? A Blackpoll Warbler might also be possible... either could be migrating through your area now.

I've seen B&W Warblers here... they are fun to watch.

Good luck,

Virginia

Edited to add that I just re-read your initial description... if the bird was completely white underneath the B&W Warbler is unlikely...

• catherinet
    6 years ago

Hmmm.....Was there just one stripe or many? I was just reading that magpies can be "accidentals" in Ohio. Google magpie and see what you think.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Magpies would be too large. It was a bit smaller than a cardinal and had about the same body size-not chunky, not slight. Its back was very black; I don't think I've ever seen a darker bird, the underpart was totally white. The only markings were three white stripes on each side which I think were on its wings rather than its side. There were thin and staggered down the side. It was eating at the suet feeder which leads me to believe it is most likely an insect eater. I looked up juveniles on several birds but this one looked mature. I've also looked up females with no success. I have been bird watching for many years and have a long life-list and this one is new to me. That's why I think it may be migrating. Also, since I haven't seen it again at my feeders I think it was just passing through.

Marcy, it is exciting to see a new bird but this one is making me nuts!!!

Linda

• catherinet
    6 years ago

Maybe it was a mutation of a more common bird. ?? Seems like you'd still be able to I.D. it even if it was a migrant. I saw a white bird with sparrows at a feeder once and realized it was probably one of those leucistic birds.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I thought about that. I have looked page by page through my field guide and on-line. There's nothing even close.

• catherinet
    6 years ago

Is it possible that it was someone's pet bird that got loose? I'm trying to think of everything. haha

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    Original Author
    6 years ago

That's a thought! I have kept pet birds since I was a kid and I can't think of any with that coloring.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    6 years ago

Black billed magpie that lost half its tail?

tj

• catherinet
    6 years ago

Were you of sound body and mind at the time? ;)

• catherinet
    6 years ago

Ok....here's something else........although I'm not sure it would be around here.......a black phoebe? Take a look at the images for one.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    Original Author
    6 years ago

There are no Magpies in Ohio unless this one was really, really lost! I checked the Phoebe photos and no cigar. This bird's entire belly was white beginning at the bottom of its neck to the top of its tail. And, yes, I was of sound mind. Sound body? I'm not so sure but this is making me crazy! I've searched everything I can think of-females, juveniles, migrating through Ohio, insect eaters, uncommon visitors....nothing!!!

There is an area not far from my home called the Oxbow. It is a 2500 acre wetland where the Great Miami River meets the Ohio River. It attracts millions of native and migrating birds. I wonder if this one could be a visitor there but I'm not sure how to search for it.

• catherinet
    6 years ago

I feel your pain, Whitelacey. Okay....here's a pic of a dovekie. I don't think they're anywhere near you, but wanted to see if this looks like what you're describing?

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Sort of but not really. I know, helpful, right??? The body shape was different and Warbler keeps popping into my mind. It was built more like a Baltimore Oriole but smaller. It was white from the chin down and had a black tail. The side markings were three distinct white marks and not broken up like this bird's. I have found a naturalist in the area and sent him an email with the description. Hopefully he answers and can identify this bird and we can stop this madness and get on with our lives....

• josephene_gw
    6 years ago

Possibly a grosbeak. They have a very thick beak.

Audubon has a website for bird iding.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    Original Author
    6 years ago

There are Grosbeaks in this area and the coloring is close but there was no rose colored breast. And the size was different. I've been to Audubon and several other sites. I can't find it anywhere.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    Original Author
    6 years ago

So you all won't think I'm hallucinating (!), I found a photo of a Black-throated Blue Warbler that is as closer than any searches I have seen. They migrate through Ohio and are insect eaters. The coloring is a little off, though.

• catherinet
    6 years ago

Let us know what the naturalist has to say. I was going to suggest doing that, but you beat me to it. Don't you wish we could take pics just by looking at something and blinking our eyes? ;) Don't worry about seeming crazy.......we all get this way at some time, when we can't figure out what kind of bird we just heard or saw!

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I knew if I left the window to get my phone it would be gone when I got back. So, I just studied it closely until it flew away which wasn't very long after I spotted it. I will post if and when the naturalist gets back to me.

• catherinet
    6 years ago

Whitelacey.......this is so funny! I looked out my kitchen window, and on the ground under my suet feeder was a bird that looked just like what you described. Very black head and back with white stripes on the wings, and very white chest and abdomen. Of course, just as I turned to get my camera, it flew off. I should have stayed and observed more instead! As it flew off, it had pretty obvious white wing stripes. My first inclination was a juvenile male towhee.....since we have lots of towhees around.

I saw no brown. I'll keep my eye out and my camera close-by........but I immediately thought of you and wondered if, now, I will be driven crazy too. hahaha What caught my eye as it was flying up to a tree was the white on it's wings, which made me think of a red-headed woodpecker. I looked up juvenile redheaded woodpecker and some of the pics looked like it, except mostly in the pics, their heads were grayish. Oh well.....hopefully I'll see it again!

• catherinet
    6 years ago

Okay......mystery solved (at least for me). It came back to the suet feeder and before it turned away on the feeder, I could see the smallest area of red on his neck. So it's a rose-breasted grosbeak. If I hadn't seen that red neck area, I wouldn't have known.........although I guess the light-colored, thick beak would have been good clues. Do you think this is what you possibly had? I think Josephene may have been right. I'm thinking you just couldn't see a possibly very small area of red? Here's my pic.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I found this photo of a male Rose-breasted Grosbeak. The coloring on the wings is a bit off but the red area on its breast is small so I may have missed it if it were colored as this one is. I wish I had seen the beak.

That would have helped so much! I think this is as close as I am going to get. I have heard nothing from the naturalist although it was a long shot that he would return my e mail.

• catherinet
    6 years ago

Whitelacey.......I think this is your real possibility. Like I said, I didn't have any last year. Yesterday, they showed up like crazy. Other posters have said the grosbeaks' numbers are really high this year in their areas. Your area isn't that far from mine, so I would bet this is what you saw. Keep your eye out......odds this year are that you'll see it again.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES