SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kamereone

My soil type is... Reese's Peanut Butter Cup?!?

kamereone
7 years ago

Dug myself a hole to do the drainage test. Got down to a denser layer of soil and figured I'd keep digging - partially wondering if it was just a thin layer (spoiler: It's not) and partially thinking along the lines of an article I just read about "double digging" to loosen up soil 24" deep. If I was having trouble removing it, certainly roots would too!

chocolate coated peanut butter · More Info
(photo taken after drainage test... which I have to redo because I forgot to check it at six hour mark - the bottom is the same color as the walls, the dark is just top layer that fell in)

I would be tempted to call this sand - very much the same as sand at the beach (here in New England at least) - uniform, not easily dug by shovel in the traditional usage, better to scrape like scooping sherbert.

Top layer is about 12" thick, and I'm guessing at some point long ago was amended with (cheap) bulk fill, based on the ridiculous amount of glass shards I've found.

But from my reading it seems "sand" in the soil sense is referring to a more loose coarse particle. And "clay" is fine particles that clump in a ball when squeezed - this does - and dents when poked, which this doesn't - it cracks.

Would love some clarification, the more I read the more confused I get!

"peanut butter" sticks to tools, crumbles when knocked off · More Info

jar test - "peanut butter" vs "chocolate" · More Info

layer divisions best guess of topsoil · More Info

Thanks!

Comments (9)