SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jdonov_ma_6a

The humble bumble bee and the dandelions

John Donovan
7 years ago

With honey bees becoming less and less frequent in urban areas the bumble bee has become more important as a pollinator. Over the last 15-20 years I have noticed a significant decline in bumble bee population. It was easy to see why when walking through my neighborhood. Everywhere I looked it was well manicured lawns with small vegetable gardens. About eight years ago there was a house fire near by. The bank had owned the house and the yard was ignored and not kept up with the exception of infrequent mowing. Over the next few years dandelions invaded the lawn and I noticed a increased activity in bumble bees in the area. This included my yard which had a modest vegetable garden. Four years ago the bank sold the property and it quickly turned into a well manicured lawn once again. The following summer the local bee population dipped again. To combat this I no longer have a well manicured lawn. For the last three years I have let those pesky dandelions sprout through. Today I went out to pick up some trash that blew in with the storm that had been with us for the last two days and was welcomed about 200 dandelions in full bloom. There must of been 25-30 bumble bees bouncing around from flower to flower. There was a half dozen carpenter bees doing the same. I was really excited to see for the first time in many years a honey bee! It was only one but it gives me a little hope.

Comments (6)