SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
schreibdave

Box in my NG water heater and plumb it for combustion and make up air?

schreibdave
7 years ago

I have what is probably a unique situation. We built a new house near Syracuse NY that ended up being much tighter than expected. A blower door test shows that we get 1.5 ACH (air changes an hr) which is pretty tight. Had I known that the house was going to be this tight I would have specified (and paid for) a water heather than burned outside air. But I didnt. My water heater is an AO Smith GPLV-50-200. It has a power vent which uses a fan to blow the waste out of the house but it uses inside air for combustion and make up air.

I am concerned that under the right conditions (1200 cfm kitchen range hood and 4 bathroom fans going) that the water heater might back draft and bring CO back into the house.

For a couple thousand dollars I can replace my new water heater with one that burns outside air or ... I was thinking that I could build an airtight cabinet around it and plumb the cabinet to the outside with a 5" pvc pipe to supply combustion and make up air.

From reading the installation manual it appears that I would need about 14 square inches of intake piping to supply the air the unit needs. By my math a 5" pvc pipe has an area of 16" so that would do it. Required clearance from the water heater to combustible material is zero inches on the back and sides and 5.5" in the front. I would likely provide much more clearance than that.

I would build my cabinet out of 2x4s and sheetrock and probably insulate it on the outside. I would make it air tight with caulk and spray foam.

Anybody ever do this? Thoughts?

Comments (21)