SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bethnorcal9

The bird feeder pergola and pots for Lilyfinch

bethnorcal9
7 years ago

Ok here we go... Just disregard the ugly weeds and mess all around. I'm hoping by the end of this season it will all be cleaned up and looking good!

Ok... this is a metal (aluminum) 10ft sq pergola which I got (for free) about 10yrs ago from the Ace Hardware store where I worked for over 25yrs. It was written off because it was missing "parts." Yeah... only the nuts and bolts. It was originally $500+ (retail). As you can see, one of the medallions on the left column has fallen off. I saw it somewhere awhile back. The property is very sloped, which is not that easy to tell in the pics. We had to do our best to get it level. My husband and I are amateur do-it-yourselfers. LOL Had to stack cement pavers and pieces of wood on the lower end and partially dig out one of the upper ends. It's still not totally level, but I figure someday when the climbers get all over the top, it won't be that noticeable!

Here is SOUVENIR DE MADAME LEONIE VIENNOT at the southwest corner of the pergola. I also have ALOHA at the other side of the column. At each column, I have two climbers in 22" green plastic pots, and various other interesting roses and minis in pretty ceramic pots all around.

This is the northwest corner, where I have AMERICA and E VAYRAT HERMANOS, who is recovering from being dug up out of a bad spot last yr. It never bloomed at all over at the lower part of the house. Just sprawled all over the place. It's taking time for it to come back. You can see the weed barrier I am putting all around to the left. It certainly doesn't keep everything out, but helps a little. Obviously I don't have it in the center! (yet..)

This is the northeast corner where I have the climbers CHOCOLATE SUNDAE and SALITA. In the background, you can see areas where I am making new beds. It's a slow process. Towards the upper left area (out of view) is the last of the DA beds. That is where the last tree stump is that my husband needs to get dug out. It's an old black walnut tree and it was the one that bled the most when it was cut. It practically had a fountain of water coming out for days afterwards, and a ton of suckers sprang up. I think it's pretty much dead now, but still need to get it dug out so I can finish up the beds there. All that greenery amongst the potted roses in the background is this horrible bear's breeches that we're going to have to get dug out of there. It's not an easy job!!

Over here at the southeast column, I have NIGHT LIGHT and BLAZE OF GLORY. You can see some of the bird feeders hanging around and the shepherd's hook with a suet hanger. Down below is a metal harrowing disk that my husband brought home one day yrs ago and my mom used it for many yrs as a birdbath. I grabbed it before her house got sold last fall and placed it on a ceramic bird bath base I've had for yrs.

From this angle you can see in the background the dog pen - turned veggie pen/potted rose area. There's an arch at the entrance to it with CANCAN and STORMY WEATHER climbers on either side. Oops.. looks like I need to get out there and put some new suet cakes out. The woodpeckers and nuthatches love 'em! Oh, and I got that lovely ceramic bird bath at Ace a couple yrs ago. They carried them in 4 colors. Don't know if they have them this yr. I actually use it to put the peanuts-in-the-shells for the blue jays. You can plant things in the pockets, but I haven't done that.

And here is MEILLAND DECOR ARLEQUIN which is in one of the big ceramic pots at the northeast corner. You can see it in the picture above.

Hopefully this will all be nice and neat and tidy by the end of this growing season... but the way things are going with our weather... no telling ....

Comments (8)