SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cammie603

Very new to AV need help please!

Courtney
7 years ago

Hi,

I'm very new to African violets and I could use a lot of help... I decided to place an order for some at my local flower shop thinking they were just nice decorative plants for the windowsill. I ordered one white, one pink, one purple, and one blue, because I knew nothing about the plants and wanted one of each color I was told they come in. I got three different pinks and one blue, which is no big deal because I honestly know nothing about plants. The flower shop does not stock African violets, they order them, so I received a one sided piece of paper with care instructions. None of the plants came with tags or anything that tells me what kind they are ( I had no idea there were different kinds until yesterday reading the forum posts).

I'll be honest, I feel a little mislead. I was told they are nice and easy decorative flowers and to just water them from the bottom and they will thrive. I had no idea they need to be repotted and that they have special soil needs, or really anything!

I'm seeking any and all advice that experienced growers would have for me. I would also really like to know what kind these four are and what the names are. I am learning through the forums and articles online basic care, but I am pretty confused as I have never grown anything in my life. I don't plan on growing them for show or growing more from the leaves, I just want to keep these ones alive and enjoy the beautiful flowers.

Thank you,

Courtney

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting