SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissaaipapa

Weeds to enrich the garden

There was a recent thread, I forget exactly what about, that linked to an article in which a garden designer talked about the virtues of planting a variety of plants in one area. He mentioned his neighbor's "hell strip", a neglected narrow patch of ground in which, however, he counted a wealth of self-sown wild plants growing with happy vigor.

I live on a former farm in the middle of the country, and my garden is on land that has never been dedicated to monoculture. The area around the house, now a thriving garden, started out as as various courtyards and brushy areas, clay and gravel punctuated by weeds, mainly obnoxious ones. As we dug, terraced, brought in soil and amendments, planted our choices, native plants also crept in on their own. I like this, though it can be messy. The lawn, what there is of it, is a lot of things besides grass. The beds are populated with volunteers, both descendents of plants, some wild, that we introduced, or that came in on their own. Most of the ones I'm referring to are herbaceous plants, often annuals, that have a modest presence and don't interfere with the woody plants or the more vigorous perennials like irises and peonies. I thought it would be interesting to take stock of what's growing around the house, in this season when these little plants are growing vigorously and haven't yet gone to seed. So, in grass and beds, I find the following:

money plant (introduced), three different geraniums, wide- and narrow-leaf plantain, two or three low veronicas, chickweed by the ton, two annual euphorbias, English daisies, sweet violets in various colors, annual violas, strawberries, field sage, clumping perennial grass, a nice Galium (as opposed to the obnoxious G. aperine, a terrible pest in any semi-neglected area), various inoffensive annual grasses, lemon balm, dead nettle, yellow emperor, inch plant, perennial something that looks like grass but isn't (Carex?), wild peas, Ficaria verna, silene, Chenopodium and common poppies in the propagating beds. This is a start. This doesn't include full-blown cultivated plants like crocuses, Parma violets, Persicaria, cyclamen, hellebores, common sage and thyme and oregano, nor undesirable weeds that get ripped out as I find time, like bindweed, Bermuda grass (there's a patch in the road below the persimmon), oxalis, cinquefoil, weedy grasses, knotweed, and others whose names I don't know. We have lots of them, too, especially in summer. The area around the house has a nice variety of these little plants; other areas have perhaps less variety, but different plants.

I like this liveliness, all these often subtle differences, and I think it's healthy: with this variety of plants each kind can grab its own niche and grow, supplying the organic matter the garden needs so badly, covering the ground to keep it cool and prevent erosion, providing food for bees and butterflies. The plant population changes over the seasons, it changes according to where it is in the yard. Nature is at work here, not just me the gardener. I like to see what she gets up to. Sometimes it's a job to keep it under control (well, sort of), but what garden isn't a job? I consider my garden fairly easy. The mowed grass and mass of the larger plants supply order.

I made my list from memory, but it's a fair sample of what grows in the most developed part of the garden.

So, what are others' policies about little wild plants? Allowed? Not? What do you like or dislike about this idea?

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!