SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
myoyster

S. trifasciata “Laurenti” and the curious case of her yellow offspring

Oyster
7 years ago

Hi there! I have been reading this forum for a while now and today I would like to share with you this exiting happening I recently had with one of my Sansevieria cuttings.

I few years ago I fell in love with the Sansevieria. Partially due to the NASA paper about how S. Trifasciata is able to filter micropollutants from indoor environments. Other than that I simply think they look stunning with their flame like appearance, temperament and character.

Ever since this moment I try to get a hold of every specie I can find. Even on holiday I keep my eyes open for unknown species to take a cutting from. Multiple cuttings have enjoyed a flight back to my home before being rooted and tendered with love and care. I’m always exited to see any new pups emerge!

Since I love these and simply cannot have enough of them I always have leaf cuttings of the S. Trifasciata in progress. It has been general consensus that the S. Trifasciata “Laurenti” is unable to produce any new pups with the distinguished yellow margin this specie is well known for.

With this idea in mind I expected to get all green general S. Trifasciata offsprings. Until this day when I found I slightly unusual pup emerge in my propagation container. A pup with a differentiated appearance, standing out from all others. All yellow and drawing my immediate attention.

In the pictures below you can see this pup for yourself. The first picture shows the pup next to an expected pup. The yellow color is noticed immediately. Also notice the location from where the pup emerged, from the yellow margin. The next picture shows this pup in its environment it is in right now. Slightly green development and banding are observed. I cannot wait to see this pup grow old and observe how it develops over time!

Nice to meet you and thank you for reading.

Best regards and have a nice day,

Oyster

The Netherlands

Comments (13)