SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alexmacgregorgee

Chirimen Hinoki cypress + Mikawa yatsubusa Japanese Maple = HELP ME

Hello, and thanks for reading. I've recently stumbled onto these forums amidst a houseplant craze and have lurked for over a month now. The information provided by this forum has already been extremely beneficial and insightful to me, specifically the in-depth stuff about container soil, etc. I've kept indoor plants with moderate success for years, and just spending several hours on this forum leaves me reeling with how much I can learn from those here. So I decided to sign up and become active, in hopes that your experience can lead to my success.

I was at a nursery today and came across some trees that I couldn't resist purchasing in hopes of making them bonsais. My mom had given me two small juniper bonsais she'd purchased in Branson from some dealer and, while I'm pretty sure I killed them both through neglect and improper re-potting, playing with them has given me an itch to improve and learn and grow something awesome of my own I've been reading as much as I can about the process, procedure, etc, but I was hoping input here could prevent me from making any beginner mistakes.

So, the trees:

Mikawa yatsubusa Japanese Maple

The tree is about 9.5-10" from the soil. The trunk is about 1" in diameter.

Side A

Side B

Closeup

Chirimen Hinoki cypress

The very top of the tree is 13" tall from the soil. The trunk is about 1" in diameter.

Side A

Side B (turning clockwise)

Side C

Closeup

So.... what now? Should I plant them in the ground? Is there pruning to be done? Did I choose some decent trees? What should I be thinking about going forward? What should I know now? Are there any good resources for information on these species and bonsai?

I'm looking forward to sharing my experience with the board and learning as much as possible. Thanks!

Comments (9)

Sponsored