SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
david_mcgrath90_zn6

Are there any bad mulches to put around a raised bed?

I cross posted this so hopefully the hate messages are at a minimum. I've asked this question before but there's a wrinkle to it that I could use some advice with. You've all been a great help and I appreciate it. I put together my no frills 3 by 8 foot raised bed (10 inches high) and filled it with a 50/50 compost/soil combo. I'm all set to go and was going to surround it with wood chips; nice and easy. I just got wayyyyy too mulch hemlock mulch dropped onto my driveway, the fibrous kind, and have put it everywhere it can go in my yard, and then some. Looks great I can't lie, but I still have a lot leftover. Can I surround my bed with this? I don't know why but I remember in my research somebody saying this wasn't a good idea. If it's not I'll stick with my original plan of simple wood chips.

Also, my neighbor saw what I was doing and gave me some weed barrier to lay around the bed so I did. He was adamant about it. Can this somehow be negative? It's easily taken away if it is since nothing is put down over it yet. Thanks as always.

Comments (5)