SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stringweaver

yardening spring 2017

stringweaver
7 years ago

Some of us here talked about a yard thread to keep us motivated, so here we go.

Goals, dreams, plans and actual progress welcome. No guilt if things don't get finished. Encouragement and input welcome.

My goal this spring is to plant my existing beds. So far I have half the beds built ( on the diagram below) and filled with compost. And build, fill and plant the rest. Add tubs at the ends of the beds for herbs and flowers. Get some sort of water system figured out and mulch the pathways.

One existing bed is longer than I'd like. I built it before I drew up this layout. I may leave it, or perhaps I will cut it back to the match the 12 foot beds as drawn. Next year I want to build a pergola in the center with a table and chairs for dining and at that point I will probably want the space.

My beds are built of 2 by 8 pine lumber, filled with compost from the local landfill, glorious stuff and good price. So far this year I have weeded the mint and the one asparagus bed I have so far (2nd year, growing well). I've planted peas, some potatoes and onions.

The base this is all built on is very rocky soil, with a thriving population of various weeds, including bindweed, cheat grass, crab grass, nut grass, pig weed, cheese weed and various annuals (old pasture). I have tried burying under cardboard and mulch and weeding. This time I went around with a back pack sprayer of roundup. I don't like it, but hopefully I can kill it all back and then cover it. The seed bank in the soil though will provide me with weeds for years to come, but a combo of weeding and spraying if it gets out of hand will have to do. I hand weed the beds, something I really enjoy doing.

this is all way more garden than I need. I can a lot, freeze some, store some. Give away a lot. I just can't seem to do a small scale garden. After this garden is set up I'll add a 24 by 24 foot small fruits garden on the north side.

1 square = 1 foot

Comments (9)