SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ladydub

Please critique this plan - Small guest bath reno

ladydub
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I’m in the process of planning a small bathroom remodel and I’m finding it very difficult to make choices even though (because?) I’ve been to every tile shop in a 40 mile radius….so, in the meantime, I’m helping my sister with her bathroom remodel which is happening now. It’s a semi-DIY job. I’m posting her material choices here for feedback as well as posing a few questions.

The bathroom is a small 5'x7.5' hall bath. When you walk through the door the vanity is on the left, then toilet, then there is an alcove tub.

Here are the materials….

Floor Tile: 12x12 Nu Travertine Silver Matte with matching bullnose as base molding. Ditra will be installed over the subfloor. Floor pattern and grout are undecided. Tile is more subtle in person.

Tub Surround: 12x24 Anatolia Mayfair Calacatta Oro Polished Porcelain tile to the ceiling around tub only with matching bullnose. No mosaic or listello. 1/3 offset horizontal pattern. 1/16" - 1/8” grout lines with TEC Power Grout (color undecided). They will be using a Kerdi system with one 12x28 Kerdi niche across from the faucet and one 12x12 on the long interior wall.

Tub: Kohler Devonshire and Delta Cassity Tub Trim and Delta Victorian Spout

Vanity: Ronbow Portland 30" Vanity with Ashland Deep Sink and Delta Cassidy Faucet
This sink is a bit unconventional. She wanted something large and deep (like a laundry sink) to handwash in and wash the baby in.

Toilet: American Standard Cadet

Grab Bars & Towel Bar: Moen Kingsley - 12" and 36" grab bars and 24" used as a towel bar

Vanity Cabinet: Pegasus

Vanity Light: Reusing existing, which is similar to this

Paint Color: TBD

My BIL did all the demo and is doing the plumbing (he’s a pipe fitter/welder), installing the tub, vanity and toilet. A drywall contractor is doing the green board and a tile guy is doing the kerdi/tile tub surround. I have not worked with this tile contractor before. He came from a rec from the drywall guy (who is very good) and has used Kerdi exclusively for 6 years.

I told my sister she needs to go through the tiles and should lay them out on the floor in the pattern she wants them on the wall so there is no guess work on the contractors part. We also know that she needs to make sure they add blocking in the wall for the towel/grab bars.

I would love feedback on the materials. My biggest critique so far is the vanity mirror is way to small.

A few questions…

What haven’t I mentioned that we should be thinking about? What are we missing?

How does it work using flooring bullnose for base and then the bullnose for the tub surround. Since they are different tiles is it going to look odd where they bump up against each other? I just can’t picture it. Should she either us the bullnose base OR the bullnose for the tub but not both? Maybe PVC baseboards instead? Any one have pics?

Does it work much better to do a smaller format tile inside the niches? Or can you cut down the larger tile to fit? Or is it just her preference? Does she need bullnose to trim out the niches or better to use a Schluter edge?

Any and all feedback is welcome! I will post pics of the complete bathroom when done.

TIA!

Comments (4)