SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
murphyam

Fiddle leaf fig growing too tall and spindly

murphyam
7 years ago

I have a large fiddle leaf fig that I'm just not sure how to maintain. I bought it last may and it has grown substantially in less than a year. The problem is that it's lost its bushiness and the new growth just looks spindly to me. It is in a room with both north and south facing windows. When I first brought it home, I kept it directly in front of the south facing windows, but the leaves seemed to get too crispy there, so I moved it across the room where it still gets the southern light, but is now 12 ft away and next to a north facing window. I water it when the soil seems dry or I notice the leaves start to droop. It hasn't lost any leaves, but as you can see from the pictures the bottom leaves droop more than they did when o first got it. I've contemplated pruning it back close to its original height, but not quite sure when or how to do it? Will leaves ever fill in where there are bare spots? Or do they only come in at the top? Would love guidance on how to maintain it so it stays looking healthy and full. Thanks!

Comments (6)