SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
h_agius59

Hi. Does anyone know this Succulant?

I'm trying to propagate it. I finally got some babies growing, but from the stem, not the leaves. If this lot die, try again but armed with lots more knowledge from this forum.

Comments (29)

• Helen Agius (Adelaide,Sth Aus) USDA Z10b
    Original Author
    7 years ago

A different angle.

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    7 years ago

Definitely a Crassula:) maybe C. multicava?

• Related Discussions

Does anyone know what this succulent is called?

Q

Comments (3)
    I'm not sure if it's the lighting or not but it looks like it may be getting a bit too much water. The leaves may be displaying signs of oedema or edema (whatever you want to call it). Again, it could just be the lighting though.
    ...See More

Does anyone know this Succulent?

Q

Comments (3)
    Some type of Kalanchoe , I believe.
    ...See More

Mystery succulent, does anyone know what this is??

Q

Comments (7)
    Thank you so much for your replies! You're right kara, they do look like they're light-starved but strangely they've always been in full light on a window ledge (I moved them to a wall to take the photos!). I first bought the original plant (in the orange pot) from a garden centre - it was helpfully just labelled 'succulent', and was much smaller. Also it's worth noting the leaves weren't very curly at all when I first bought it! They were classic straight leaf shape like the propagated cuttings, and the stem was much less woody and coarse (and green) - it basically looked like the fresher propagated cuttings in the 2nd photo. I think the poor original plant might be a bit pot-bound now.. elucas101, those do look quite a lot like them but I can see mine aren't quite growing in the same way and sadly these guys don't seem to get flowers! (or at least they never have with me..) It's a really lovely plant though! Hm, these guys are a bit of a mystery!!
    ...See More

Does anyone know what succulent this is?

Q

Comments (2)
    Echeveria nodulosa 'Painted Beauty'
    ...See More
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks Kara. It doesn't look very healthy with the leaves looking sploggy. It's on the side of the road between the footpath and the road. I think the people in the house planted them. There are heaps of other plants too. Also we had 2 really massive storms with lots of rain through our summer plus heat waves often between 40° - 45°c. I'm hoping to get mine going and see what it really looks like.

Original Author
    7 years ago

I'll try to put in the "real" other angle.

yay!

I've got more close ups, showing different parts of the plant eg the "runners" with tiny red flowers (or leaves).

• socks
    7 years ago

Have you tried growing cuttings?

I think I have that plant in my garden, and if so, it's slightly invasive but easily controlled. Not positive but I think one way it's spreads is by little plantlets falling from the flower blossoms. It also sprawls and reroots that way. See if you can take some cuttings and/or check for rooted sections you might clip off.

Original Author
    7 years ago

Socks, yes. Tried the leaves first. Then the stem with the tiny red flowers. They grew from the joints and the little flowers, I was so excited, but they died. So tried again and they were doing well. But they have slowed and seem to be struggling. I've got them on a mix of unsifted sand and regular potting mix, which has gotten rock hard. So if/when they die I will do it all properly AND in the pot they will stay in so I don't have to disturb them.

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    7 years ago

I've noticed that succulents, not all of course, but when they have thin leaves or small in size can totally take on more water. They dry out so much faster.

Original Author
    7 years ago

Yeah I think both was the case. Either they died black with rot, or dry, shriveled and crispy. The one's that are currently growing have 2 things against them. One is the cement type soil they are in, the other is they are in a shallow tray and will need to be shifted.

I've since changed what I put the leaves, stems of other plants in when propagating. The plants I've got in them are loving it.

• socks
    7 years ago

What medium would you switch to?

I would skip the sand, let cuttings harden off before planting, keep them out of direct sun as they grow roots. No roots, no water.

Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks socks.

Well to start with I was using the cheapest regular potting mix I could find. Then I bought some sand and made 50:50 mix. But since I found this forum I've been sitting the sand and I'm planning to buy some perlite next pay (in a few days). But not sure what to put with it. C&S soil? The other things that some people here put in instead of soil I get a bit confused about.

Also when propagating, should it have some soil? I'm now propagating into tiny pots so they're stronger when I repot them. Eventually I will have all my Succulents repotted into the perlite/? mix. That will take a while from the cost point of view so I want to start with the delicate babies.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

I'm happy to skip the sand. I let cuttings/leaves callous/dry now. And don't water like I did. Will keep the babies out of the sun til they are established, although I do all the propagating inside anyway.

• Embothrium
    7 years ago

I'd wonder if the shading and litter accumulation was affecting it.

Original Author
    7 years ago

Yeah probably would've too. Nice thinking, means my cuttings have more chance of looking gorgeous :)

Original Author
    7 years ago

Socks, forgot to mention that I've also been using sifted chicken shell grit in the mix too.

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    7 years ago

I'm not sure its a Crassula. Could be a Kalanchoe of some type.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Helen

I am not sure if it was your another post talking about shell grit, but not many succulents appreciate too much calcium. That's what shells add to grit. When I buy chicken grit, I make sure it doesn't have shells in it. Can't you get just plain one?

Original Author
    7 years ago

Yes we did talk about it. I remembered a similar conversation and went searching for it after my last comment in this one. Too much calcium.

I was planning to look up turface and the other one you use, on the internet just to get an idea what they are. Do you use the same mix for propagating?

Well it's 7am here. I'd better get to bed.

Stanofh. I think that's possible, I think I'll probably have to wait and see what one of the babies looks like as it matures.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    7 years ago

Helen, I use gritty (inorganic mix) for growing and for propagating. I have used some soil but I do not buy it anymore. But soil with lots of perlite is good, even plain perlite works for propagating.

Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks heaps rina. Do you get the non organic gritty mix from garden centre type places or from pet/animal food shops. Also if I wanted to use some soil, would my compost (where I've taken out all the bark, sticks and anything else I can see that's water retentive) be ok, or is it a bit rich. I appreciate your patience with me. Thankyou.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    7 years ago

Helen

No, the mix like that is not available in stores, we make it ourselves. Chicken grit is available in farm supply stores, perlite at many places and turface from a local distributor. I can't get pumice easily (at least not for reasonable $) otherwise I would use it. There is a mix named LechuzaPon available, but I do not think I will be buying it. In US, there are couple or few places that sell similar mixes but I never bought any and will not, as cost of it seems to me high and there is also shipping.

Some ppl use 50/50 mix of C&S soil and perlite (or even 60% of perlite) and it seems to be working for them...I never used it so can't say one way or another. I don't know what your compost is like; is it compost you made yourself?

Original Author
    7 years ago

Rina I'm writing a better reply to some of your posts. I'll copy in here a bit later day and hopefully it will make a lot more sense. Please bear with me

Original Author
    7 years ago

Rina I am really sorry. I think I've been giving the wrong impressions about some things in this thread and the other one when talking about what "soil" to use in a basket arrangement.

[Not a sob story... I developed a disorder as a child that causes memory loss (amongst other things) at times of high emotion, eg fear, excitement, feeling overwhelmed, etc. This can, of course, can effect communication with other people. I'm guessing that has happened here]

So I've been reading and rereading this thread and the other one and I'll briefly pull it all together (I hope).

Since finding this forum, the way I want to propagate, grow and care for my Succulents has completely changed.

But the reality is that the plants I already had are still in their old, regular potting mix and some with sand mixed in. But they are ok for now.

I want to get the propagating right first, then start repotting the smaller nice looking plants in smaller pots with the right stuff. Meanwhile I haven't got enough small pots, hence the question about baskets.

I'm planning to get one or two bags of perlite tomorrow from Bunnings and hopefully a pack of small pots from a cheap shop.

Then over the next days I will sort through the plant babies I'm trying to propagate. Where I can, I'll put them straight into the sifted perlite. Others I'll play it by ear. I think there's a good chance for most of them. There's also a good chance some will not make it.

I've decided not to use the compost, but wonder about nutrients etc. I've noticed that some of the more successful growers use fertilizer. Do you and if yes what sort do you use?

I asked at a local pet shop about inorganic chicken grit. She suggested ringing a few local fodder supplies places. I'll do that soon.

I've also looked up some of the things that you and others put with the perlite (or would if you could get it), like turface, pumice, etc. But I'll ask you about that later.

Just for interest, when I looked up turface, one of the sites was from a different gardening forum in Houzz. The guy said it was sold in Auto supply stores under other names and went into great detail on which ones to get and what not to use. I've bookmarked it if you're interested.

Again I'm sorry about any confusion with any of you and really appreciate your patience and sharing with us inexperienced Succulent growers.

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    7 years ago

Helen, there's a guy on YouTube I watch. He's from Australia:). One of his videos he shows what he uses in his mix. His ch is called 87walker. Might be a little helpful:).

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    7 years ago

Helen

No problem asking questions.

Product you are talking about is probably Napa product; and it is very similar to turface. I believe I read thread you are referring to (I read Container forum and House forum regularly, that is where I learn about these mixes).

I am sure there is same or similar product in Australia, maybe sold under completely different name. I will check that youtube video too, that will probably give you better idea.

Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks Rina and Kara. Yes I'd like to check out the video I might have a look after this. Didn't get to Bunnings for the perlite, AGAIN! Grrrr. Good thing they don't die easily, unless they are tiny - then stay wet or dry too long. This has been/still is a big learning experience. I'll see if I can get a photo of all the babies waiting for perlite.

Original Author
    7 years ago

I've taken thee photos. We'll see how they go.....

Original Author
    7 years ago

Original Author
    7 years ago

Original Author
    7 years ago

Original Author
    7 years ago

Wow they all went in, no problems! Cool bananas! :D

Can't wait to see them alli in their nice clean perlite lol.

Any helpful comments welcome - always.