SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lh69017

Large grass clusters next to house: How should I remove these?

Logan
7 years ago

We just bought a house in October 2016.
Most of the gardens were dying back and we weren't sure what growth was "intentional" or what was "volunteered".

We're now tackling the front and side gardens; yesterday we pulled out weeds for 6 hours and mulched the entire front of the house. I planted some bearded iris and a blueberry bush, but there are these two MASSIVE ornamental grass clusters growing right next to the house - within inches of the foundation.
I'm worried they are a problem, but even if they are not we want to get rid of them.

I think they are miscanthus?

They are both probably 7 feet tall, and 6 feet in diameter.

My neighbor came out and chuckled, "You'll need a truck to pull that root ball out!" - he said.

Again, these are both touching the house they were planted so close. Not sure why the previous owner did so, but we're addressing the issue now.

We can't burn them, and there are edibles growing next to them so chemicals are not desirable either...

What's the best way to tackle this?

Just cut away at the rhizome little by little until it's gone?

If I just keep cutting back new growth will it eventually die?

I don't mind them in the open, there are two more in the front of our driveway and I really like them there. I just don't want them getting any close to our foundation.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living
More Discussions