SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kaylee_jones49

HELP! How shoud I help the Humming Birds on my porch!?

Kaylee Jones
7 years ago

Recently a humming bird began building its nest on a very flimsy tree near my apartment door (I don't even believe its a tree, but rather a bush maybe?) for the 3rd year in a row. It is VERY unstable, with every gust of wind the "tree" sways to and fro. And for the last 2 years, the storms have always arrived on time and unfortunately manage to knock over the nest with the humming bird's eggs. Last year I tried to help by building an awning made of eggs cartons and securely place it a couple inches above the nest. It did help keep the humming bird and its nest with 2 eggs dry and secure, but then it began to hail like crazy and it managed to break the twigs of the tree that held the nest! This will be the third time a humming bird will build its nest on that tree. This time I do not want to wake up to find two eggs smashed on the concrete floor again.

I decided this time if the weather conditions get too rough again, I will take in the eggs before its too late. But that's my question...should I? I realize this is mother nature, but ever since that first year that humming bird laid its eggs on the unstable tree my gut has been telling me to somehow "help". And for the past 2 years I have been right, but have been stumped on how to help them.

I don't want this to happen again for the third time. Please help. Tell me what should I do. Should I raise those eggs if those ugly storms hit again? Or is there something else I can do?
I do not have any hands-on experience raising humming birds, but from doing my own research I know its a very busy and time consuming task, which I am prepared for. Also, money is not an issue and I will be able to buy them everything they could possibly need. And I obviously plan on releasing them back into the wild once they reach that age.
Many thanks.

Comment (1)