SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
owlfisch

Pinching tomatoes to delay growth?

owlfisch
7 years ago

I planted my tomatoes too early this year. I will most likely not be able to take good care of my plants for a while and am trying to figure out, if there is any way to delay their growth and fruit until I am ready for them again.

More precisely I won't be able to be around the plants for a good month in the early summer, but before I knew about this, I did my very best to get the plants in really early this year to have a lot of fruit from late spring on. The plants are about 18'' tall now and have just started to flower. I am hoping, that I may actually get to try a few before I have to part with them temporarily, but I would like them to take a little break while I can't guide them in their growth and eat the fruit.

The simplest thing to do would probably be just pinching the flowers off, starting a month before I am away and then just removing any fruit that hasn't ripened until then? Assuming, that it takes tomatoes at least a month from flower to ripe fruit, that should delay ripening more or less, until I am back another month later, right?

Since tomatoes grow so much in a month and I don't want to come back to a big mess, I would like to slow down the vegetative growth a bit, too. I was wondering, if topping the plants off would result in them slowing down for a bit? Instead of pinching just the flowers, I would just pinch off the top of all shoots a month before leaving, removing the tips and with them the flowers.

Would that likely work, so I won't be growing sprawling monsters, or would they recover badly? Or so soon, that it wouldn't make much of a difference? Or would it trigger so many side shoots, that the plants will turn into even bigger monsters?

Any ideas?

Olga

Comments (20)