SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bcafe_gw

Paint color for my front door

bcafe
7 years ago

The previous owners painted the front door a very ugly, "army" green. I need a brighter, fun door. Any thoughts? A kink in the plan is that the front outdoor alcove is also painted the same green (about a 4x10 area of siding on both sides). The attached picture was taken in about December, so the landscaping is pretty brown.

Comments (27)

• nosoccermom
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

What's your favorite color?

I really like blue doors.

bcafe thanked nosoccermom
  • bcafe
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Honestly, I like all colors. I too, like blue doors. I was thinking something aqua-ish but I am having a hard time using the Sherwin Williams photo upload-try on paint-software.

• graywings123
    7 years ago

Could you tape a white piece of paper to the bricks and then take a close-up photo of the brick and some of the paper? If there is orange in the brick coloring, I was thinking a tangerine color might be nice.

Brick house - orange door

bcafe thanked graywings123
  • Olychick
    7 years ago

You can use some other paint company's software with your picture and at least try on colors, then find something similar to it in SW if that's the brand you want to use. Will you paint the alcove, too? Would you paint it the trim color? (looks like a beige or taupe?) It seems that would really brighten the area and look good with a blue door.

Maybe someone with some real skills at this will help you LOL.....but until then....this is REALLY rough using the McCormick Paint site...it seems easier than some of the others. I didn't figure out until the last try how to try to lighten the area around the door, but you get the idea:

bcafe thanked Olychick
  • nosoccermom
    7 years ago

Oh, I see the aqua. I'd go with something a little softer, not too popping.

vs

or teal

• bcafe
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I wasn't thinking of painting the trim color, but that could certainly be a possibility. The alcove would definitely need painting, as would the trim around the door and sidelights/transom. Thanks!

• bcafe
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Goodness, the pictures turned out huge! The brick is more red than what is pictured, but there is a tinge of orange-y in there.

• Olychick
    7 years ago

Were you thinking of painting the whole alcove the same as the door color?

bcafe thanked Olychick
  • bcafe
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I don't know! Would that be too much of one color?

• Bunny
    7 years ago

I like #1 and #3 that nosoccer posted.

bcafe thanked Bunny
  • bcafe
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Here is one more that shows more of the alcove. We will be replacing the overhead light, beefing up the welcome mat, and putting out urns of flowers once the weather stays consistently warm.

• Fori
    7 years ago

Wow do you need to do some painting!!!

I'm sorry. That's not very helpful. On the bright side, you have just one thing wrong with a very nice place and it's not that hard to change!

But a more neutral (and not light-sucking) color will fix that right up. Will you be keeping the trim color? I mean the one on the roof line, not the one around the door which I hope is getting changed out too.

bcafe thanked Fori
  • lovemrmewey
    7 years ago

Goodness, you have such a great opportunity to make a stunning entryway. Can't wait to see the aftereffect of paint! The entry would definitely be wonderful with the trim color covering the green, and a popping door. Please set us see pictures afterward!

bcafe thanked lovemrmewey
  • k9arlene
    7 years ago

I'd paint the entryway the color of the trim and then do some photoshopping to choose a door color.

bcafe thanked k9arlene
  • nosoccermom
    7 years ago

I can't see , but is that brown trim everywhere, or just around the front door and sidelights?

• bcafe
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The brown trim is just around the door, sidelights and transom. The trim around the eaves is a taupe-y beige. The windows are also taupe, so maybe I should match the alcove with the windows at this point?

• Olychick
    7 years ago

yes, that was the trim i tried to match in one of my pathetic mock-ups (the taupe). I think if you pick a blue for the door, it would look good.

And even tho it's not usually done, I think I would paint the trim that's now brown around the door and windows the same color as whatever you paint the door

bcafe thanked Olychick
  • nosoccermom
    7 years ago

Oh, I now see olychick's mock-up. Yes to getting rid of that brown and painting that alcove a lighter color. Would it be weird to have the siding and alcove a darker or lighter version of the (new) trim color? You'd have three colors in that little space, but I don't think that's weird, is it?

• User
    7 years ago

I think anyone of these would be beautiful and fun

Love this with the red

This tone of gray isn't seen too often but IMO, it's very classy looking

And if blue's are where you're leaning, this blue is pretty and may not be too dark for your entry.

Lastly, I found this on Pintrest which could come in handy for a visual.

bcafe thanked User
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

Totally agree to paint alcove same as the existing trim color. The brown trim must go lol I love a blue door and there's such a beautiful range from a lovely turquoise, periwinkle, to a denim color etc. I think it needs to be a color light and bright enough to stand out in the darkness of the alcove.
    I would paint the trim that was brown a very light color even white or a very light version of the taupe trim on the rest of the house. It needs to be seen and as dark as it is in there it's not standing out. Or if you go with a color for the door make that trim a very diluted version of that paint

bcafe thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

This looks nice

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

Here's an example with the taupe color trim and blue

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

Similar with sidelight windows and a yellow door. My neighbor has a bright yellow door. I don't care as much for yellow.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

I love a periwinkle blue door but in this case the dark trim would have to be replaced with a lighter color.

• bcafe
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Raven, I really like your #2 image with the taupe sidelights! I think we will go that route and maybe enliven on the blue color with a bit more vibrancy. Thanks to you all for the ideas! I appreciate them greatly.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

That would look very good.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022