SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crcollins1_gw

Basement layout help - pantry + kitchen

crcollins1_gw
7 years ago

I had to tie this into the kitchen forum but the truth is it's mostly about the basement layout. You kind folks on the kitchen forum are by far the most knowledgeable and helpful. Hopefully, flattery will get me everywhere.

You may remember me from my modern-ish, vintage-ish kitchen remodel in 2014. We are now considering finishing our basement, and need to include overflow pantry, storage for large stuff like Christmas decorations and such (no attic), a lot of books and games, lounge space plus a kitchen/laundry area. We will not use this kitchen for any real cooking, but for DH's beer brewing hobby. May have a two burner induction cooktop, but that's the extent of cooking. We need a large deep sink for washing pots and such. We currently have a big plastic laundry sink and I'd like to find a stainless steel equivalent, maybe from a restaurant supply. Fridge is only for drink storage, we currently are using an old side-by-side that we got with the house, but would like something smaller and more specific to drink storage for efficiency. We have a small upright freezer, and a small wine fridge.

Washer and dryer can't be moved far without considerable expense and time to move plumbing so I'd rather leave them where they are. I also need 3 to 4 feet of full-length hanging space. I prefer to hang damp clothes rather than iron!

The bathroom is already finished, and the black lines on the layout are posts or walls that will be $$$ to remove. One square = one foot. This space walks out to pool toward the left side of photo. To the top of the photo above where the stairs are will be a shop for DH and workout room. I put the pantry at the bottom of the stairs so it will be handy to run down and grab what we may need quickly.

I would appreciate any suggestions, especially in the "kitchen" area. It doesn't feel right to me. Also would like suggestions or pictures on how to finish off that back wall of storage. Could do it as regular closet doors, sliders, pocket doors. Just don't know what would work best and don't want to waste any space.

We are considering painting the ceiling joists - anyone done that?

Thanks a million!!

Comments (17)