SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tishi111

Refinishing Maple Table Top

Tish
7 years ago

I have a dining table that is REALLY beat up, and more than half of the original coating is already rubbed off. My children are still small and I don't want to invest in a new table yet. Plus I have yet to find something I like. Most table tops seem to have grooves where crud (food, play doh etc) would get caught in and not friendly for writing and coloring! My table is solid maple so I figured I could refinish this and get more life out of it.

I probably will be painting the legs and the skirt(?) of the table eventually but I want to get the top taken care of. I do plan on removing the gummy residue on the surface with mineral spirits, then sanding with 80 grit, and finishing with 220 grit. I think I got it to here...

But here's where I'm stuck at.

If possible, I would like to go a little darker than the natural maple color, but I read maples don't take stain very well. Any suggestions without completely hiding the wood grain?

Since this will be a heavily used surface, which is the best "coating". I am leaning towards poly. Will oil based poly be my best choice? Is wipe-on poly a good choice for a heavily used table top?

TIA

Tish

Comments (15)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio