SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Refinish table top or find new 'old' one?

Sueb20
12 years ago

I guess I just need someone to help me think through this, and/or make suggestions. Our kitchen table is something we created with a purchased table top (top only) and an old black iron sewing machine base. The majority of wood furniture in my house is vintage/antique in medium to dark tones, and this table top has never quite fit in because it's a new maple wood in a lighter finish. Now that DS has put a few gouges in the top of the table, I have an excuse to do something with it. I figure my options are:

- refinish this table top, putting on a darker stain and maybe distressing it a bit to make it look like it has some age. I have never done this, so any suggestions are welcome.

- or find an old table top and use that. Problem is, I have been scouring CL and haven't found anything I can use. I thought I could maybe find an antique table and just use the top, but can't find the right size. Then I thought maybe I could find a place that makes furniture from reclaimed wood and maybe I could just get a table top from them, but the one place I found was sooo expensive.

The size of my table is not a typical size -- 30" x 60". Because of its location it can't be much wider than 30" but it could be a bit longer. Ideally it would be around 66" long.

Comments (15)