SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
love_the_yard

One of these things is not like the other...

Hi Everyone!

Back in 2010, a very generous gardener, Cliff, traded some plants with me. He sent me a great package of Crinum 'Queen Emma' pups which I so very badly wanted. He got them from either side of his front door and sent me a nice handful.

The two in the photo below are from that package. What's always puzzled me is that they have never looked the same. Every year, regardless of conditions, the one on the left is greener with leaves that stand straight up, pointy tips to the sky. The one on the right is always a much darker purple, with wider leaves that flop over and sprawl outward. And of all the pups I received from Cliff, the only plant with the pointy green leaves is that one. All the others are dark purple with the floppy leaves like the one on the right.

I wonder if Cliff has two different kinds of Queen Emmas on either side of his door? Are there sub-varieties? I'm hoping Eric, the king of plant identification, will stroll by. I've been through Google images and seen lots of photos of both kinds. Does anyone know exactly what I have?

Sesame Street: One of these things is not like the other

Thanks!

Carol in Jacksonville

Comments (8)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional