SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ladyfirerose

Split-Entry remodel in Ohio; Layout/Reno advice?

Kay
7 years ago

I posted, last Thursday, in the Remodel forum, but I get the impression it's not very active. I am re-posting here, with some edited details, since my largest focus is a kitchen remodel.

My 1990s split level needs some work. I have halted my DIY projects mid-completion to consider a remodel given recent information that I may be able to spend more than I originally thought. I am about to have two newly-college students move in with me, for their fall semester, so I am trying to fix things up as much as possible.

My budget is a very strict, $32k. The house is about 1500 sqft; 1000 upstairs and 500 downstairs. Three bedrooms, two bathrooms. The current kitchen is almost-perfectly, 12'x12' (see below). When I bought the house I fully intended upon a kitchen gut, and had the money, but some unexpected life events popped-up, and it just didn't happen. At this point, I have, unused, 400 sq ft of Brazilian walnut wood floor, 500 sq ft of salt-and-pepper granite tile, and about 100 sq ft of my basket-weave ceramic tile.

I am curious what everyone's layout opinions are, within my budget, as well as whether I should do a basic DIY or take a chunk of the budget and go with a design-build company.

Obviously, a kitchen would be my first choice, especially since I love cooking, baking, preserving, etc. I'm wondering how far can I stretch my budget to make my entire house more appropriate compared to similar houses, and hoping I can give it a bit more style, but am not unreasonable.

A few of my ideas have included moving the kitchen/dining space downstairs and adding a semi-open den upstairs (we work from home, a lot), or doing an open-concept kitchen upstairs, trying to keep with the same foot-print. I'd love to include a face-lift of the main bathroom and a glass sliding door to the shower. These are all just brain-storming, though.

I live in Columbus, Ohio. Below is a "lovely" orange-brown-colored montage of when I bought the house and a few of what I have now.

At purchase:

Living room + downstairs

Upstairs (left) and downstairs (right):

The upstairs windows go almost to the floor, so they're a big obstacle that I cannot change. The downstairs window is above counter-height, so it wouldn't be in the way. The weird posts/window structure at the peninsula is not a supporting structure. It's purely an (ugly) decoration.

Let me know what you think, and any questions. I'm, still, very torn on the whole thing. It feels crazy to put as much as a down-payment for a new house into my house, but moving isn't an option, and we would see a return.

Thanks!

Comments (10)