SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kehesse

New Construction Kitchen Layout

K Hesse
7 years ago

Hello!
We are about to begin construction of our forever family home. We are a family of 5, with our kids being almost 10, almost 7 and 4. I like to cook and enjoy baking. My kids to like to help from time-to-time. We eat most of our meals at home and I do a lot of from scratch cooking. We do host holiday meals often, although the groups are usually around 15 people, so not huge.

I do realize the kitchen is built in the middle of the house. I'm not overly sensitive to needing lots of natural light, but we do have lots of windows planned around and will likely do a skylight or solar tubes in the kitchen. If we don't, we will plan for lots of lighting.

I have a kitchen layout that I designed after reading many of the posts on here about layouts and work zones, but I was having some issues with dishwasher placement. So, I took it all out and wanted some fresh ideas. We are planning on a gas stove so I put that in where we had it planned for permitting issues (not sure how easy that would be to change as permits have been issued) and the fridge is set as I have it planned to be recessed. I also have strong feelings about keeping the fridge close to the dining table.

I do want a large island for rolling out cookies or dough. I would like the island to be one height, not two. I also envision the kids being able to sit at the island and talk to me as I work in the kitchen.

I want to have the standard gas range/oven and then a single electric wall oven with a microwave. I do not want the microwave over the range.

I have included two pictures. The first one is a little more zoomed out so you can see what is around the kitchen space (including the pantry at the bottom of the picture. The 2nd is closer-up with dimensions.

So, I'm open to ideas. I do think function is most important, but I do want it to look right, too.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (12)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH