SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meghanndyer

McMansion Hell Help

Meghann
7 years ago

Okay first time poster and worried after reading 'McMansion Hell' that I may be building one. I apologize for the long post but wanted to give as much info as you might to better advise.

We live in a small town in Nor Cal and have too quickly outgrown our semi custom not as quality home as we would have liked. Inventory and lots are very low but we did find a builder that we really like who has great recommendations from his homeowners about quality, etc So we have taken the plunge and out a deposit down on a lot that is .90 acres. He is currently building Mediterranean homes but he has done more traditional which is what I would be leaning toward.

There have been some thing bugging me though about the way the house looks but I thought it was because I dint love the style but after trying to educate myself I think it is the architure itself and not the style.

We are building 4 bed ( one xl room for the twins to share) 3 bath, 3600 sq foot home. I work from home when not traveling so need an office and love to entertain and have the grandparents stay.

We also have 2 Bullmastiff's that we added an additional entrance by the XL twins room for them so we can corner off part of the yard and the rest of the yard can be poop free.

The things I know I want to change are

-shrinking the master bedroom

-increasing the dining room and great room

-possibly adding a .5 bath so guests don't have to use the bath that is used for my twin girls

-adding a skylight in the pantry and laundry room

-getting rid of any internal and possible external arches

-the coat closet and the opening to the office

-the roof over the garage looks like too much to me

I also REALLY hate the way especially the outside front looks. I want to only use one size of the windows in the front and I want it to be timeless not Mediterranean. I am meeting with him tomorrow to make the requested changes and would love even more suggestions.

I am terrified that I am going to make a mistake and really want this to be our forever home so would be so appreciative of any feedback on this.

Comments (29)