SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lh69017

My First Year! Here are my plans...

Logan
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I've always wanted to have a vegetable garden. My wife and I just bought a house in September and I've finally got three beds built and filled with quality soil and compost.

The orientation of the beds was a bit of a battle. It's a balance between function and form, and my wife and I came to an agreement. So we're left with (2) 3x6 beds that run North-South. And a 4x10 bed that runs East-West.

The two 3x6 beds will get a ton of sun, there's literally nothing blocking them from dusk to dawn.
The 4x10 bed will get exposure two hours after sunrise and will lose exposure 2 hours before sunset. (This should lengthen through summer, but right now I think its barely 5-6 hours of sun throughout the day)

Here are my plans for the 3x6 beds: (the green cells will be on a trellis - orientation of the photos is North ^ so the trellis is on the East side of the bed.)

As for the 4x10 bed, I have plans for lavender, basil, rosemary; but otherwise there's a ton of real estate for more vegetables... Also planning on running a trellis on the long North side of this 4x10 bed.

Am I crowding the 3x6 beds too much?
I'm worried about crowding the tomatoes - there would be 16" spacing between each plant, with the end plants 10" from the bed walls... Pepper plants are the next row over in the bed, so 12" between peppers and tomatoes, but staggered like a checkerboard.

Also, any advice for the 4x10 beds?

I'd plant the tomatoes there, but I'm worried about the lack of sun in the afternoon. I'll time it out this weekend and see exactly how long the exposure is. But by 4:30pm right now it's in the shade. I'd imagine sun-worshiping tomatoes will not be happy there.

I'd also consider splitting the tomatoes between the two beds, but then crop rotation will be difficult next season.

I need as much advice as you're willing to give!!
Please!!

Comments (17)