SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

Naming of the Beef

annie1992
7 years ago

Yes, it's that time of year, the naming of the beef. I've had Tom Shanks and Flank Sinatra, I've had Chuck and Stew, I've had Sir Loin and Hamilton Burger. I've had Mookayla and David Cowser, named after grandchildren. Yesterday's calf was a girl, today's is a boy and I'll have one more in 4 to 6 weeks or so.

This one is a boy and you can tell his mother is half Highland, she's got some vicious horns. I didn't press the issue, although she's relatively docile, I took pictures from the OTHER side of the fence, as this is her first baby:

He's got such a cute little strange face, it's hard to believe that by next fall he'll be a 1,000 pound bull and I won't dare turn my back on him. Never trust a bull, no matter how cute. His "big brother" isn't quite a year old and gives me a bump every time I'm not watching. He weighs about 400 pounds, so it's not at all cute and earns him a slap on the nose. This guy, though, weighs about 60 pounds so he's still cute...

This one is his older "sister". Older by one day, and she's cuter and sweeter and already followed me around the barnyard today. Her mother is my 17 year old Red Cow, and she's a good Mama, but she trusts me, so I don't hesitate to get closer to this one:

These will probably be the last babies born on the place, along with their sibling due in a few weeks. After Copenhagen died I promised Elery we'd stop the cow/calf thing so we can travel, something that can't be done with a year round cattle operation, even one as small as ours. We'll just get "feeder" steers from a neighbor, 500 pounds or so, and pasture them from March to December, leaving January and February open to go somewhere warm. I'll miss the babies, but I won't miss weaning calves and castrating the bull calves and crying over 17 year old cows and filling water tanks in January at 20 below zero. Plus, I'm picking up baby chicks on Friday and starting tomato plants, so things will change and things will stay the same. I'll adjust, but I sure do like to see my babies in the spring...

So anyway, I'm stuck for names. Osso and Bucco? Rare and Medium? Him and Her? Elery says we should name the bull "Ben", since it was born on his son's birthday. Can I spin that somehow?

Annie

Comments (43)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!