SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mileena94523

How do I fix this bathroom sink pipe?

mileena94523
7 years ago

My bathroom sink has a permanent stopper that you can't remove. This is problematic because:

1. I want to install a sink drain strainer that I will clean out daily instead of the stopper. I already have these in my tub and kitchen sink.

2. I want to auger out the s-curve in the pipes since it is draining slow.

Now I didn't call the landlord since I am about 10% to blame for the sink draining slowness. About 90% of the problem was here when I moved in but I didn't feel a need to bother the LL since although it was slow, it was (barely) adequate. I want to fix this myself since I have an sink closet auger and invested in drain strainers.

So I went under the sink and found the lock that was holding the stopper in. I disconnected it, by unscrewing a sideways cap, a gasket and a ball plunger that sits in the pipe. And then I pulled out the rusty the metal stick that was locking the plunger down.

I then removed the plunger from the sink and a ton of long hair and gunk was attached to it.

Now I don't know how to close up the gaping hole so water doesn't leak. Here are pics:

What do I do? And how on earth am I going to reinstall that complex stopper when I move out? There was very little room for that long metal stick to go in and out of the pipe. I am not going to be able to insert that into the stopper hole since someone has to be on top to move the stopper up and down for me to poke at and try to bullseye the hole in the stopper with the rusty metal stick, and I am alone with no friends.

Thanks!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living