SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mbrad_plantnut101

Had fun moving trees and shrubs this weekend

Anyone move their plants a lot? I do and my neighbors and family think I'm nuts. This weekend I moved several trees and shrubs that had outgrown their welcome near my patio, my back is not too sore and I like the outcome!! I moved a 3-4 foot red maple seedling from between my fence to the parkway between two 15 year-old lindens. I might leave it alone for a year but it has two forked limbs coming out of the trunk and it needs to be more symmetrical if it's to be a parkway tree. I also moved a clematis "Roguchi" that had outgrown it's small trellis near the patio and it got a new home in the hole previously occupied by the red maple seedling between the fence spokes. I moved one of two five-foot Mock Oranges into a mixed shrub border and moved the Abies koreanna ''Silverlocke' to a more open, sunny spot on the side yard devoid of anything evergreen. A dwarf Hinoki cypress that got really beat up a few years ago survived a bad winter, but never fully recovered got transplanted to the back of the garden. I couldn't get rid of this little survivor but he is quite ugly. If he makes a full recovery he can be seen again with some perennial moving. All of these plants were purchased quite small and on sale and now I get to redesign the area!! With all these holes near the patio, it occurred to me to just put a small pond with fountain there and some annuals and ground covers around it. Pics to follow!! It was so rewarding moving large healthy plants!! Skipped the gym this weekend!! Happy planting!

Comments (4)