SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deeeeeleeeeete

Moving a Shrub vs. moving a tree

Debbie Downer
10 years ago

I planted a summer wine ninebark about 3 years ago and its grown nicely - a beautiful shrub. There happens to be a small tree growing right next to it. The trunk of this tree is only about 4 or 5 inches away from the crown of the ninebark. I think I tried to get rid of it once but its back - a black walnut.

The thing is - I like black walnuts! Once you get over the juglone thing it really is a beautiful tree. There is (I meant to say WAS) one incredibly large, majestic black walnut in the back corner of my yard. Since we've already got juglone-resistant plantings when it came to thinking about getting new trees I thought - what I'd really like is another black walnut or 2.

I was going to move the little tree but read they have long tap roots and can't really be transplanted. Besides, the little walnut really is in the ideal spot for a new tree and its probably about 3 years old so has attained some height.

So that leaves moving the ninebark. How established are its roots at this point? If it was a year, or even 2 years after planting I think I could easily pop it out and drop into a new hole. But 3 years ....?

Can I move it now? With ongoing rains here in the midwest
and moist soil that would be good for reestablishing roots vs. waiting til fall when it may not be so damp. Its done flowering.

Would rooting hormone help both tree and shrub recover?

THANKS!

This post was edited by kashka_kat on Fri, Jul 5, 13 at 15:15

Comments (9)