SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pattybee_gw

Important info re: Asclepias curassavica, aka tropical milkweed

This info sheet (one of many available online) explains the dangers to the Monarchs of planting this non-native milkweed in Florida. I, too, started out with A. curassavica until I found out that it hosts a protozoan which weakens and kills the butterflies we are all trying to save.

If you are looking for the types of milkweed which are native to your area, check out this link. Put "Asclepias" in the search bar, and a list of milkweed varieties comes up. Click each one and it will show a map of which are found in what Florida counties.

The ones that come up for my area that I was able to find seeds for are A. humistrata, A. incarnata, A. perennis, A. tuberosa, and A. verticillata. I bought Florida ecotype seeds on eBay from crisdafish for a nominal sum. As for other varieties, you will have to do some hunting online. You likely will not find all of them. You can also check Florida native plant nurseries for purchasing seedlings. OR, if you have seeds for any of the FL native species you could let us know.

Comments (14)