SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fire_eyes

Upstate NY Farmland?

fire_eyes
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hello everyone,

I am hoping I can gain some great advice and information about farmland in upstate NY. I know jobs aren't the greatest upstate so it will be about another five years before I can make my move but, I've always been one for research and getting prepared long before I'm ready to make a move. Right now I'm and urban farmer living in Brooklyn and can't wait until I can come out of pots and spread out and grow more varieties and have a few fruit plants as well. What I need to know is what part of upstate will work best for my needs. Honestly upstate isn't the only state on my list but would prefer to stay if I can find what I'm looking for. I don't know much about upstate but was thinking about Western and Central NY. In the Eastern NY area I was thinking somewhere around Albany. What I am looking for is the following:

Great soil - this is very important as I plan to eat what I grow. As I stated I would love to grow more varieties of vegetables and fruit. I also plan on starting all my own flowers from seed because buying starter plants can become very expensive. Landscaping a beautiful property is very important to me. I do plan on having a greenhouse for year round planting and maybe trying some dwarf fruit trees/berry plants that may not normally grow up north.

Topography - I am not apposed to flat land as long as is not just grass as far as the eye can see. I would like some natural wooded areas or just some pockets of trees. The property must have maple (sugar, red or silver) and or birch because I plan to make my own syrup. The ideal property would be a combination of rolling hills, flat land and some natural woods. An area that would offer beautiful views from a second floor porch would be great. Mountain views bonus. No muddy, marshy or flooding areas.

Animals - I do plan to raise some animals not for profit but for my own sustenance. So an area that won't freeze out chickens, turkeys, dwarf cattle, hogs, geese, ducks, and possibly lamb are ideal.

Snow - I don't mind snow but I don't want an area that will bog me down in winter or shorten my growing season.

Acreage and cost - I would like to buy somewhere in the area between 30 and 60 acres but I don't want to break the bank. The cheaper the better I'm talking between $100,000 to $250,000 or $35,000 to $100,000 for just the land without a home on it. If there is an area that would give me more than 60 acres in these price ranges I wouldn't say no. Max amount of acres would be 155.

Off or on grid - I'm still on the fence about this. I would like to live off solar, wind turbine and or water power but... I would also like the option of being hooked up as well if I choose. I'm still researching rainwater collection systems but the deciding factor on that will be how well it works for regular running water like I'm use to having. I know going the off grid route is not something I want to rush into all at once.

Neighbors - considering the amount of land I want I already know their won't be anyone right next door but I would like other farms nearby. I'm not looking to be completely alone.

Social environment - I am looking for an area that is racially tolerant. I have always grown up in a racially mixed environment and I would want to live in an area that is welcoming to all races. Community is important. Good schools isn't a factor as I don't have children. Quiet peaceful and safe is very important.

Nearby - emergency care close by via car. I would prefer not to have to drive very far to get to a more populated area that would l have big box stores and postal service.

Home style - I am partial to Dutch Colonials and farmhouses but I would consider homes in the Colonial, Georgian Colonial and Federal Colonial styles. However think big wrap around porches.

Recreation - fishing and farmers markets, county fair (do they still have those?). I'm not big on dining out and stuff, sort of a homebody. Hiking and walking trails and horse trails.

I guess that's it, that is what I am looking for, is there a magical place upstate that can give me all of these things?

Thanks!

Comments (4)