SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jerlane

Builder Used Wrong Finish On Floors

jerlane
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hi there,

We are in the midst of a major whole house remodel and the new white oak floors were installed and finished this week. We didn't want any yellowing, so we wanted a water-based poly finish. We have also been very clear that we wanted a matte finish. Turns out the floor guy used an oil based satin finish called Masterline.

Our concern is that the floor has clearly yellowed from the sample we were shown (which we now know didn't have the poly on it, just the sealer). It also doesn't have the truly matte finish we were looking for.

The floor doesn't look terrible, no new hardwood floor wood, but it's not what we wanted. I'm also concerned about the quality and durability of the finish used. Our GC says they did two coats yesterday, but I don't see how they could have and followed the manufacturers specs which call for 8-10 hours between coats.

The kitchen cabinets are supposed to be installed on Monday, but I think we need to have the floors redone.

This is pretty stressful at this stage of the game. I appreciate any feedback on what we should do.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (4)