SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19755260

Warm Feb., cold March, confused roses?

User
7 years ago

Some of my roses (not all) got fooled by the warm weather we had in Feb., and started to leaf out. Then we had super cold weather in March. Many of the leaves that had emerged now look crispy and shriveled. I have no idea what to do, since in the almost 20 years I have been growing roses I have never experienced anything like this. Can anybody offer any advice? Should I cut the damaged leaves off, or just leave them alone? Do you think my roses will be ok? I'm hopeful that none of them had started forming buds yet (I certainly can't see anything) - do you think they'll still bloom? (a particular concern for the once-bloomers).

This has been so discouraging! My Okame cherry's bloom is ruined, and so are many of my daffodils, crocus, and hellebores - looks like its going to be a sad spring. I guess this is just another one of the ugly effects of climate change, and I'm so depressed that it looks like its all just going to accelerate now! And of course the suffering it'll cause will be way way greater than just our poor gardens!

Anyway, I'm just hoping that at least my rose blooms will be spared, so any advice or encouragement would be most appreciated

Comments (2)