SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
poohbearlvr

Hoya Davidcummingii, pictures & Comment.......

PoohBearLvr
7 years ago

Hey. I bought this hoya in Sept 2016, it is in a 4in pot, it came as small rooted cuttings, no vining. But I saw the flower online looking for different colored hoya flowers, pink and yellow, and I wanted it. Well in 6-7 months it has like 6 long vines on it and 4 visible umbles.

The first one opened today. I thought this variety was hard to grow, I read all over the internet that it is SO picky, it is next to impossible to grow, let alone get it to flower, so I had to give it a try! But it grows so easily it is silly. I have basically ignored it, going light on water, I was told it needs to be dry, then I read it needs to be wet! I read it needs shade, then it was sun afternoon shade. Prone to rot VERY easily. I thought for sure it would be dead in weeks.

Well for once I didnt get screwed from an EBay seller. No hoya grower had it to buy, but it was on EBay for $19, and of course like $8 shipping. well I took a shot and I finally won! These are the best pics. I could take of the flowers, and the plant.

I wanted to know from others, if you have trouble growing it, or is it as easy to grow for others to grow, as I found it to be? I'd love some pics. of other bigger plants, flower clusters, if you have some. This is this plants first blooms, on its first umble. It has 3 others with bud growing on it now. the aroma is a HEAVY melted butter aroma. Am I smelling it right? my hoyas usually smell like chocolate, or honey, and maybe a light buttery aroma on one other, I cant recall which one right now.

The flowers are SO small. I expected them to be much bigger or some reason. I guess I went by others close up pictures of their blooms. Like I tried with my pictures. To get detail and see how pretty they are.

Well..heres my good luck, so far....hope it lasts!! The vines it produced are about 1.5 feet long each. I brought in the plant and placed it on top of my AeroGarden light hood, when we had a cold spell,in the low 50's, like 2 weeks ago. I thought for sure the change in light, and the heat from below, would cause blooms to drop,or maybe kill it. BUT it grew to reach the light under it, SO fast, I haven't put it back outside. One of the other umbles is showing in the front of the plant picture. I have it outside in shade 90% of the day, ti gets VERY early morning sun,then its shade all day. When I remember to water it, I water it. I keep expecting it to rot. But ti doesnt. Should I keep it in the pot and mixture it is in till it is REALLY potbound? Does anyone know? The potting mix seems to be peat/perlite/and bark/charcoal/soil. Like an 'orchid mix' and soil. Is that why it is doing so well? I know hoyas love to be potbound, and this one has lots of root room left in this pot. But when/if I pot it and others up, would this mix be a good one? Like soil and an orchid bark mix????.

Comments (5)

Sponsored