SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
summer_is_coming

Diagnosis help! New leaves curling down and in

I'm a novice gardener trying to grow tomatoes for the first time in Houston, TX (9a). I'm looking for help identifying what's causing the new growth on my tomatoes to curl downwards.

Instead of trying to describe it, here are some photos

^Sweet Chelsea from nursery planted about 10 days ago in 20" planter

^Black Vernissage that I started (badly) from seed and transplanted about a month ago in raised bed

As you can see, the new growth towards the top is curled down tightly. The lower leaves seem ok, the leaf color seems ok, and I see no obvious discoloring/pests.

I believe I've made the following mistakes recently.

-I over-fertilized a bit with 0.33-4-0.75 fish/kelp fertilizer used as a soil drench. I gave about 12 oz per plant in each instance 24, 48, and 72 hours after transplant. The soil also has an organic 4-4-3 plus Mg & Ca dry fertilizer mixed in.

-I also believe I'm over-watering a bit at about 3-4" of water per week. The top of the soil under the mulch has been moist (but not wet) every time I've checked.

Some information that may be relevant

-The leaf curl is more intense at the end of the day. It seems to ease overnight.

-The symptom is present in the tomatoes regardless of whether they are in pots/raised beds as well as the growing medium (reputable local vegetable garden soil/compost heavy mix/"farm dirt")

-The symptom is present regardless of whether I started the plant from seed (transplanted about a month ago) or I bought a seedling from a nursery (transplanted about 10 days ago); I see it in both the OP and hybrid cultivars I'm growing

-All the plants grew and have continued to grow noticeably since the application of the 0.33-4-0.75 fertilizer

-We've had a bunch of sunny, windy days with highs in the 80s and lows in the 60s.

Looking through this informative forum, in addition to over-fertilizing and -watering, viruses and herbicide damage look to be possible causes. But as someone looking up at the learning curve, I'd feel much better if I could get some advice about the most likely cause(s) from some experienced gardeners.

Thanks in advance for any help

Comments (3)