SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
funkyartoo

Does this look like "Great Auntie's Wallpaper"?

Funkyart
7 years ago

In 2011, I bought a duvet that the store clerk described (over the phone) as looking like wallpaper she'd imagine in her great aunt's house LOL! I ended up purchasing it anyhow and I loved it.. great auntie's wallpaper or not. It had just enough funk for me and it worked perfectly with the rug I already had.

Now, many years later I am looking for a replacement. I bought something a few months ago that is okkkkk but I don't love it so I am going to replace it. Of all things in our home, we should LOVE our bedding, right?

I've narrowed it down to two options-- one a new love, one an old love. My new love is also from PB and I fear that it might be another "great auntie's wallpaper" but without the funk factor of the previous one I loved. I am hoping you'll weigh in and give it to me straight! (I know I could/should put this on the Decorating side but I feel like those on Conversations know me and my leanings a little better)

This will work perfectly well with my wall color (grey owl) but I will need to replace the throw rug in the room.

So what do you think? Does the scale of the pattern give this vintage garden pattern enough of a modern update to work.. or does it look like "great auntie's wallpaper"?

For perspective, here is my second option... as well as the one I recently bought and don't love:

Option 2:

Recently purchased:

Comments (66)

• bossyvossy
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I like this one but maybe too autumn?

Calming kinda floral not wallpaperish

• LucyStar1
    7 years ago

I think it does look like "great auntie's wallpaper" and I love the English country look and all things Laura Ashley. I love the one you bought in 2011. I think it has more interest with the birds in it and they give it some movement.

• Related Discussions

Does this look like a Liberty?

Q

Comments (7)
    Could be Liberty, but there are other hosta that look like Liberty---Majesty, Clifford's Forest Fire, Magic Fire and there may be one more. I once had a Majesty. It definitely looked similar to Liberty.
    ...See More

does this look like acrylic or epoxy?

Q

Comments (3)
    “ It also doesn’t sound like a stone when I knock on it..the sound bounces back like I was knocking on plastic.” I hate to break it to you, but quartz counters are not stone. What is called ”quartz” is actually engineered in a factory. Quartz slabs contain crushed quartz particles, dyes, and plastic resins. In fact, the slabs contain 33 1/3% plastic resins by volume. “The design seems to have a pouring effect on it that makes me doubt if it’s genuine quartz…” Exactly…these ingredients are heated until they’re liquified, and then poured into forms and cooled. It’s hard to tell from a photo whether the those tops are quartz, acrylic, or even Corian. If this is a new spec build, ask the builder.
    ...See More

Christmas Gifts on demand and why does ___ look like that. Very long.

Q

Comments (42)
    I do want to clarify, that other than the weird situation that for a couple years in a row I ended up buying a gift for someone who was through the revolving door of that position in the office in short order, I really don't mind the gift giving, even then I didn't really mind it. I was just in a mood this year about those people who, through no fault of their own, I didn't really know because they did not like working there enough to stick around. If they were there at Christmas, they contributed to my gift too. What I think I am annoyed about right now, is that it really would have just been better to do exactly what I always did, which is buy the same thing for everybody at the same place, that would come in it's own box for free, and be once and done. That, rather than trying to put people in a hierarchy of more deserving or less deserving. I would have saved time and stress, and in all likelihood money, because It would have been done and I would not have been jumping through a bunch of hoops to compensate for how things have played out. The only person I resent giving a gift to is that single secretary, and Everybody does, except her/our supervisor who for whatever reason thinks she's great.
    ...See More

Does this look like mold?

Q

Comments (7)
    If your top coat is failing and the wood below is coming into contact with cleaning solutions, (the grayish areas) they can contaminate the wood and prevent a good adherence of new top coat, so please get this remedied asap or it could be a much bigger job.
    ...See More
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    7 years ago

LOL it looks like it's the kind of pattern you love or hate!

I do want some color but I don't want "colorful". While there were a lot of colors in the Arianne bird print, the overall effect was pretty subdued.

Localeater, love that you are looking at it too! Surely one of us needs to get it -- if not both of us!

Bossyvossy, I quite like the design but it's a little more modern than I want in my br. The Company Store (which is where I bought Option 3) often has similar patterns that I like but can't picture in my room. I think I prefer a little more romance in my patterns.

Thank you all for sharing your opinions and new suggestions!

• artemis_ma
    7 years ago

I love all the potential patterns! Maybe too many pillows, but I've never been one for pillow clutter. (Unfortunately, I tend to go for readable clutter...) At any rate, nothing looks Old Aunt to me.

• voila
    7 years ago

Frontgate has some pretty bedding. This seems to be available only in king size. http://www.frontgate.com/margeaux-chinoiserie-duvet-cover/749299

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you.. neither the frontgate or annie selke patterns are for me but I appreciate the suggestions.

Artemis, I have reading clutter too. The pillows hide my ipad.. and still I have books piled on the nightstands.

• blfenton
    7 years ago

If you really liked the first one that you had for a number of years and it sounds like you did, unless you're looking to go in a different direction I don't think that the ones you have posted have enough life to them.

ETA - "life" doesn't have to mean colourful, it can just mean interesting.

• LynnNM
    7 years ago

I can definitely see why you loved your original comforter, but I don't care for your Option #1. To me, it does look like it belongs in Great Auntie's house. Option #2 is ok, but I hope you keep searching.

Funkyart thanked LynnNM
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Blfenton-- that's a good point. I THINK I want something more sedate and calming but I have that in my current duvet set (the third option) and it's not doing it for me. Something to think about.

I have had a variety of types of bedding -- quilts and duvets-- but I think the one common thread (with a few exceptions) is that they had unusual or unexpected coloring. I think that's part of what I like in the Rebecca duvet (option 1). I also like that it isn't so precious. It is pink.. but it isn't so very precious pink.. and the floral isn't so precious a floral.

I do still like the Swedish farmhouse set also. I am surprised how many don't care for it at all. It may be the photo I shared. It is linen so it will be very comfy but maybe a bit more rumpled than I'll like. My only real pause is that I don't know how gray it is-- I'd prefer it with a green or blue undertone as it seems to have here:

I am going to give one of the two a try.. I will decide which today!

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    7 years ago

LOL Lynn.. ok, I will look a bit more today before I order anything. :)

I find some of the PB patterns can look a lot different in person-- sometimes better but not always. I just don't feel like driving to Phila or Baltimore to see them.

• l pinkmountain
    7 years ago

I actually LOVED going to my great aunts houses (grandma had seven sisters!), they were so interesting and had personality. So I am of no help whatsoever.

Funkyart thanked l pinkmountain
  • User
    7 years ago

I realize this is a bit different from what you have currently but it's appears to be collaboration of several of the Pottery Barn Vintage fabrics and it's pretty.

Funkyart thanked User
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Lukki, I tried to like that quilt .. but I just don't. It looks sweet in your photo but if you look at the other photos you can see the true pattern. It's just too patchworky for me. I especially dislike the shams.

Also, I really need the duvet cover. I have a number of quilts (including other PB quilts)

• jesshs
    7 years ago

Here is another one, a little brighter than you might be looking for:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/192004963558?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

• User
    7 years ago

Oh, I thought it was a Duvet! Sorry bout that! You're right too, in the pic I saw it is much prettier. You know, PB tends to add patterns every couple of months, it may behoove you to just wait and watch for the "one". There are just some things I won't compromise with and bedding is one of them. I wanted the thick cool cotton PB's duvets are made of so it took me well over a year to find ours.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks, Jess.. the first one is very pretty but too blue a blue. I need a light blue green or aqua or light green.

Lukki.. no worries! I have looked at quilts-- including the one you pictured but I really need a duvet first. My quilts are all going strong.

I totally agree with you regarding PB's duvets. I have been really pleased with them. I love the weight, the size and the washability. The bird duvet above is starting to look worn but it is 6 yr old and has been washed a million times. I haven't tried their sheets but I think I am going to give them a go too. Earlier this week, I put my foot through one of my (not inexpensive) fitted sheets that is not as old and didn't get as much use as the duvet. :(

• neetsiepie
    7 years ago

I'm a dissenter-I prefer #2. If you want color add it with pillows or a throw or something else. I just don't care for #1-but ADORE your old set.

Funkyart thanked neetsiepie
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I don't know that I am wanting color. I think part of that serene feel I am looking for is about not having too strong or too many colors. I think I have mislead some of you with the bird duvet -- which was chosen as a compromise for my bf-- a floral that wasn't too feminine. I DID love it but it's not something I'd typically use in such a large expanse as a duvet.

Prior to that, I've always gone with very pale colors-- light greens but not too minty. Light aqua-- but not too blue or too bright. Ivory. Plain ivory linen. All misguided trips into more color or pattern were fails with the single exception of the birds above. I am ok with more color and pattern on a quilt.. but not so much the duvet. (i'd be embarrassed to tell you how many duvets I have stored away in a variety of patterns)

My room is small.. I will be adding white shutters to the windows this summer and recovering the headboard in a light textured fabric (it's currently sage). Maybe I should just wait until I've made the other changes .. I guess I am just antsy to do it now when we have such GREAT sleeping weather. Also, I have delayed getting the material for the headboard until I've selected a duvet. I am going to think on it today.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Quick update: I texted option 1 to my bff who has known me since.. well, seems like forever! She loves it and said it's perfect for me.. in fact, she thought I had something similar. I didn't but it is definitely a "funkyart" floral.

I am going to give it a try-- with a promise to myself to return it if I don't like it (I have a bad habit of not returning the fails).

Thank you all for your thoughts and recommendations. I hope I didn't put anyone off by not loving any of the alternate suggestions. I very much appreciate the suggestions even if they only tell me what I don't like.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I should have read this 45 min ago lol. I ordered the sheets too.

• User
    7 years ago

Well, I'm sure it will be fine, like I said ours were from the outlet and I have heard that they make stuff separately to sell there. Hoping you'll post a pic of the bedding once you have it all put together! I'm sure it will be very pretty.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Eh, I think a lot of brands are making lower quality items. The sheet I put my foot through was Ralph Lauren -- which used to be my brand of choice. I so miss their cotton jacquard sheets. They were thick, cool and wore like iron.

Thank you so much for your encouragement, Lukki.. BTW I think *your* birds are lovely too. :)

• cattyles
    7 years ago

Lukki, I love those birds! I looked at that set yesterday. But then reminded myself that Funky was buying new bedding, not me, lol.

• MtnRdRedux
    7 years ago

I'd like to see more layers. To me, a duvet cover and shams is not funky, it is kind of old lady, regardless of pattern. I'd rather see an eclectic mix and nothing matchy-matchy.

ETA: if I were you, I'd start with a throw or pillow that I loved, and then layer in more patterns and solids. Have you thought about looking at calico corners for a custom duvet cover?

examples of mixing patterns... not necessarily anything you'd like, but all of them funky and interesting IMHO. I don't see you as a person with a bed out of a catalogue photo; lost opportunity in my book.

• gsciencechick
    7 years ago

We have Biltmore sheets from Belk, and they ripped, too.

Love those bird patterns. We've got a paisley. Hard to find something that is not ultra-feminine like flowers but doesn't look too masculine either. I think he'd like the bird pattern.

• MtnRdRedux
    7 years ago

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I love the wildly eclectic pattern mixes-- and I've done that in the past but I had a much larger bedroom then. I think the small size of my current br requires a more restrained and edited look. I also found that it wasn't so relaxing which is pretty important to me-- as I struggle with insomnia and overstimulation. Also, I think it might be too "young" of a look.

That said I am a pattern mixing kind of gal. I have looked at some patterns that might coordinate well for throw pillows, shams, pillowcases and a quilt but until I see the duvet in person, I won't know for sure. Once I am sure I will keep it, I'll move on to select other pieces (and a fabric for the headboard).

I'll consider Calico Corners if I end up returning PB duvet cover.. but I don't have one nearby so I will leave it as a last option.

I fell in love with Greta Garbo's bedroom (in the NYT this morning).. still a mix of patterns but much more edited. I'd like a little more variety but I like that it's primarily salmon.

• User
    7 years ago

Thanks for the sweet comments about our duvet, we've had it for a few years now and I still love it.

I think the mixing of patterns and layering is a wonderfully cozy and inviting look. Unfortunately, most people, including myself don't have the talent to pull it off or I'd do it in a heartbeat. I put a yellow and white gingham (or buffalo check) cotton throw I've had for many years at the bottom of our bed and it works pretty nicely with the birds, but that's about as good as it gets for me. :c(

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    7 years ago

Oh oops! Sorry so late back to this, but I was referring to the roses - the third photo of the post - option 2, not option 3. It says, "Swedish Farmhouse Washed Linen" underneath. Sorry I was not clear.

• User
    7 years ago

So this is another reason why I stick to just PB, I was looking at duvet covers on some off the wall site and found this, really love love love it...but it's a Legacy and almost 1200!

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Oh I like that too!

• MtnRdRedux
    7 years ago

That would be pretty with grey walls.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I especially like the diamond pillows.. I can afford them LOL.

• User
    7 years ago

Yeah, right! Ha ha! Everything about that room is gorgeous

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I wanted to follow back up on this thread since at least one other person was contemplating the same pattern. I received it on Friday and it was much prettier than I'd imagined and I really like the linen-cotton blend. There is more depth to the pattern than I expected and the colors are very pleasant... they remind me of a desert floral.

Unfortunately, much as I loved it, it didn't do anything for my room. I had thought the background was ivory but it leans more to the flax-- which normally I love, but for this room (which is dark a lot of the day), I really want the crisp, clean look of ivory or white in the mix.

For the short term, I have kept my current duvet (below) but added more white pillow cases. It made a big difference. I think I will pick up a white quilt and then hold until I find something I really love.

• l pinkmountain
    7 years ago

Great that you shared a follow up. I find follow ups to be great learning experiences!

Funkyart thanked l pinkmountain
  • User
    7 years ago

sad that it didn't work out but I think it's good that you're sticking with your vision and not settling. When the right one shows up, you'll know it when you see it!

Funkyart thanked User
  • aprilneverends
    7 years ago

oh I usually go for flowers and mixing and stuff..(not without exceptions-my favorite set is (almost) plain linen)..really couldn't care less whether it looks like my great aunts or not..also my great aunts -I didn't know all of them well..big family-but the ones I knew were women I admired a lot..so I wouldn't mind the connection.

I love to go for more contrast probably..right now PB has something I love, theoretically speaking..I think it mimics old botanic drawings..so pretty. I understand that's not your preference,,wouldn't quite work in my place too. But it's cool.

I also bought this one(had credit and gift cards to be used) quite some time ago but haven't try it yet..I ordered sheets to go with it and am still waiting for these.

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/helena-embroidered-printed-duvet-cover-sham/?pkey=cduvet-covers-shams%7Cpatterned-duvet-covers-shams&isx=0.0.2118

I really like Anthropologie for their patterns..this is more great aunt to me, but I like it..have somewhat similar sheets..:)

https://www.anthropologie.com/shop/helen-dealtry-floral-duvet?category=bedding-duvets&color=095

I also like OneKingsLane, RueLaLa and Gilt for their bedding sales..so I'd check there from time to time. Most of our bedding was bought through their sales..including my beloved linen one. Great savings.

And yes, I usually pile throws etc too..right now I have three on my bed..not for beauty I must say(one would suffice) but because Southern California is so darn cold)))) in winters.

Funkyart thanked aprilneverends
  • aprilneverends
    7 years ago

oh i just have to share it-linen..not flowers but so beautiful, that gradual thing going on

I bought a similar sheet set for my DD, on eBay..wonderful quality. They've got three colors there https://www.gilt.com/brand/melange-home/product/1179366371-melange-home-ombre-duvet-set?origin=cat

• aprilneverends
    7 years ago

pretty! but flannel

https://www.gilt.com/brand/melange-home/product/1171997269-melange-home-yarn-dyed-flannel-duvet-set?origin=cat

reminds me of old etchings a bit

ok..I should stop or else I'd get something for myself..))

• localeater
    7 years ago

Funky, thanks for posting a follow up. I have decided that I will love my existing duvet a bit longer. It is also pottery Barn Celeste Gold which is discontinued.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    7 years ago

thanks all. I was a little disappointed but not too much so. I am happier with the current set now that I've added more white. I just needed to break up the wall color, the headboard and the duvet/shams a little. It has more presence now and will easily do for the foreseeable future.

April, the Helena is gorgeous! Too much color for me but it's really very pretty. I also have a plain linen set-- actually a few in white and ivory that I used to layer. I still use the boudoir pillow.

localeater, The Celeste gold is so much prettier than the current colorway. I really like it!

• Fun2BHere
    7 years ago

Thanks for the follow-up. I was curious to see what your decision would be.

Funkyart thanked Fun2BHere
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I meant to add that I am pleased with the PB sheets. I would have liked something just a little thicker but even my old favorites have gotten thinner.

• User
    7 years ago

Ahhhh....well unfortunately that doesn't surprise me and it's a bummer. In addition to the thick cool cotton, I've always liked how the fitted sheets fit the pillow top we used to have and the sizing of the flat sheet was pretty generous too. They really were perfect for what we like.

It's a crap shoot I know, but I found some really nice and thick percale (Pottery Barn like) sheets at Home Goods a year or so ago and they've held up nicely and I was able to get two sets for less than the cost of PBs. We've changed mattresses so the large pockets are no longer a necessity but they do fit our latex bed nicely. Of course they're not as soft or nice as the Pottery Barn sheets but at least they are crisp and cool.

Funkyart thanked User
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I don't mind the price for PB sheets IFF they last. Time will tell.

I am really pleased with the current combo-- it's not just a fall back. I do like the look. Is it the perfect set? No.. but I am pleased with it for now. Ive really enjoyed going to bed the last two nights.. and that was the goal!

And because I saved 200+ (when I return the PB Rebecca), I bought a new down comforter! :)

• User
    7 years ago

Down comforters are the bomb! And I love the inviting way ours makes our bed look. Never appreciated them until we moved to cold country, now I even have down throws for the living room.