SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
clcclc

How far should we go with staging?

CLC
7 years ago

Ok, sorry in advance for the long backstory. Last fall we put our house on the market. It sold within days of listing (first showing). Closing date was set for late November. As we got closer to the closing date (and already sailed through inspection, appraisal, etc), we started purging stuff and selling furniture that we knew would not work in our new home. Two weeks before closing, and literally days after selling all our furniture, our buyers backed out. With the timing of it (right before holidays), we decided to let go of the new house (which was contingent upon the closing of ours), regroup, and list again this spring.

So here we are, with plans to go back on the market in a few weeks, and our house doesn't look nearly as good as it did when it was so nicely staged in the fall. Our dining room and office are both now empty (the first two rooms when you come in the house), because we sold our dining set and desk. Our living room is mostly empty because we sold the couch and chairs and donated our rug. A lot of our art work on the walls is gone. Basically the only nicely staged rooms at this point are the bedrooms, kitchen, bathrooms and the downstairs family room.

We do still have all the listing photos they took in September, along with a virtual tour of the home when it was nicely furnished and staged. The thought of spending a bunch of money to stage it again is not appealing to us, but if it makes a big difference, we need to do something. But how far do we go with staging? Where is it most important to have furniture? Or can we just leave rooms clean and empty and hope that potential buyers get a better impression from the pictures and virtual tour? I have had some people tell me that our market here is so hot that it doesn't matter, but I am also aware that first impressions can make a difference. I am mainly concerned about buyers walking into the house and being greeted by empty rooms on all sides. Currently our office is full of moving boxes. :-/

Comments (8)