SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
actionclaw

Asphalt “Cobblestone” pothole repair method questions

When repairing typical sized asphalt driveway potholes, to stretch materials, save money, as well as to better “blend in” the patch, I sometimes mix in small pieces of the broken asphalt. These patches look alright and —time will tell but, so far— have held up fine.
I'm about to be dealing with some larger, deeper holes. Some of these areas are large enough that pouring all new asphalt would be the best solution but, unfortunately, this is not a case of “money is no object”.

I have a fair amount of large chunks of various sizes; some up to 6 - 8” or so. I was considering the possibility of laying them out “cobblestone” style, using the cold patch (under and between) to mortar them together to patch these larger areas. I'm imagining this would require horizontal as well as vertical tamping. Yes, this might be more work or more time consuming but I guesstimate it could result in using only a third to a half as much new material and reuse would be the best possible way to dispose of the old asphalt. Is this feasible?

If for whatever reason, this method is not workable, provided the hole is deep (or the pieces thin) enough would it be better to do something similar to this (as described above) but apply the cold patch on top as well as beneath and between?

Other than aesthetically, are there functional, practical advantages or disadvantages to finishing off with the top surface of the older, chunks vs. newer cold patch material?

Thanks for your input

Comments (2)