SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bbstxx

How to mitigate acid in ketchup

bbstx
7 years ago

My sweet little nephew (11 y/o) has terrible issues with acidic foods. He is also lactose intolerant which makes trying to shift him to ranch dressing a non-starter. As with most children his age, he loves french fries and chicken nuggets and he loves dipping them in massive amounts of ketchup. However, ketchup exacerbates the stomach issues.

I have done a little bit of googling to see if there is a "fix" for this problem. I've seen ads for low-acid ketchups. I'm sure they don't taste like Hunts or Heinz, which is what he wants. I've also seen ads for a product called "Coffee-Tamer" and "Wine-Tamer," but the Amazon reviews are mixed.

Someone mentioned putting a bit of baking soda into acidic products, which sounds like the most viable solution. I've thought about buying ph strips and experimenting on how much baking soda it would take to lower the acidity of ketchup.

However, before I set up a science lab in my kitchen, I thought I'd turn to the CF community to see what experiences you had had with the same issue.

Any T&T methods?

Comments (16)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner