SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rantontoo

Delayed 3 Years But Gained 16"...Need Layout Advice!

rantontoo
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

After two bathroom remodels and care-giving
during my mother’s Alzheimer’s battle, I am finally ready to tackle my kitchen. Gaining 16” comes from DH finally agreeing to remove built-in shelving; that opens new lay-out possibilities in my small kitchen space.

The kitchen has to stay where it is since there are no other location options in our split-level, but there is ceiling access under the
kitchen so plumbing/electrical can be moved. Unfortunately, DH will not agree to change window location due to recent window replacement in a stucco
exterior. A dining table is needed since there is no separate dining room. We are a couple in our early 60s who entertain extended family. I am
the primary cook, and DH often assumes clean-up duties but usually not while I
am cooking.

I have a peninsula that I hate walking around and never prep at which means prepping on
either side of my sink (above the dishwasher or in the 12”x12” corner space
between the sink and stove). An island is at the top of my required list. I
would prefer a cook-top with a stacked wall oven/microwave but also realize
that placing those in my small kitchen means the only adequately
sized prep space will be the island. Am I crazy to give up perimeter prep space for a cook-top and wall/microwave ovens along with the convenient storage space they
allow?

Buehl kindly sent me her design file, and I have come up
with several design options. All have +s and –s along with trade-offs. I am hoping for advice on the
best layout of sink, dishwasher, fridge, and slide-in induction range or induction cook-top/wall
oven-microwave. My goals are to maximize lay-out efficiency and storage, provide
more than 24” of convenient prep space, and eliminate small cabinets. Any
insights, ideas, and comments are welcome!

Option A: basically current layout with 16" more space on fridge/cook-top run except for the oven/microwave cabinet. I currently have an induction stove instead of a cook-top and a 48 inch peninsula next to the dishwasher. It is the only layout that I can see an oven/microwave cabinet working.

Plus:

• Cook-top and wall oven/micro with 30" storage drawers and easily reached vertical storage

Negative:

• Is the island an awful barrier to wall oven cabinet?
  • Island only 24"+ prep space

Option B:

Plus:

• Amount of perimeter prep space
  • Sink placement eliminates DH's window crud/splashes

Negative:

• Island and direct access from fridge to stove
  • No wall ovens means where to put microwave
  • No cook-top/wall ovens...positive trade-off?

Option C:

Plus:

• Amount of perimeter prep space
  • Sink placement eliminates DH's window crud/splashes

Negative:

• Have to have a counter depth fridge; loss of fridge storage
  • No wall ovens/cook-top...positive trade off?

Comments (34)