SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paul9580

Food for free... sort of...

paul9580
7 years ago

Hi, I am working on a project plan, and really need some input from growers. I am in the UK, but this forum looked like a good place to ask.
Basically the proposal is for people to buy an acre of land, have it farmed (or market gardened), they receive a veg-box for two once a week in lieu of rent, the farmer/grower gets their farmland at no cash cost, and keeps the excess produce - I think this split will be about 25% for the land owner 75% for the grower.
I am currently thinking of starting with 100 people/acres - farmland in the UK is about £10,000 an acre, a veg box is about £15, so on paper it gives a return of around 7.5%
The plan is to keep legalities and taxation to an absolute minimum. The land owners need not be involved in anyway with the farming side (while they own the land, they get their food).
As farmers/growers are already putting together and delivering commercial veg-boxes for around £15 the figures must add up - I am just aiming at connecting people more closely with their food supply.

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting