SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maddybeagle

Shielding people from sun while allowing light for plants

maddybeagle
7 years ago

Greetings, Decorators. This is mainly a window treatment question. I'm working on ideas for reconfiguring the back room of my house, which faces due south, to include a new kitchen, dining area, and small seating area. The room has southern, eastern, and western exposures. In the new room concept, the kitchen will be in the west side of the south-facing room and a small screened rear entry porch will substantially shade that side from the western sun.

The dining and seating side of the room will be in the southeast corner. For that part of the room, I have conflicting goals: I want to take advantage of the light provided by southern and eastern exposures and have a room hospitable to houseplants, for which I have no good space in my current setup. The plan is to have box bay windows providing deep sills in the SE corner of the room, near the seating and dining space, to showcase plants and provide views into my garden. However, the amount of heat gain from the sun in the summer in the to-be-remodeled room is so great at the moment that I keep the blinds down almost 24/7, and in the winter when the leaves are off the trees, the glare from the low winter sun makes looking out that room's windows really uncomfortable for a lot of the day. (I'm super glare-sensitive.) A deep roof overhang or exterior awnings would limit glare and heat to some extent, but would also limit the light available to plants.

One idea I'd though about was to mount shutters or blinds on the interior face of the box bay windows (i.e. flush with the interior walls from which the bays project), so that the plants on their sills could continue to enjoy the sun even if the humans inside the room needed to be shaded.

Attached is a very rough sketch in plan of what I'm talking about. Green rectangles the box bay windows; brown circles are plants sitting on the windowsills.

Anybody done this, or seen an elegant solution to this problem? Model images and good ideas welcome!

Comments (4)