SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carly_gibson93

Need landscaping design help for secluded house on slope

Carly
7 years ago

Hello!

We moved into this house in Chesterfield County, Virginia (Zone 7b) -just south of Richmond-less than a year ago. As you can see from the pictures, the house is in a bit of an unusual location, it's fairly isolated except for one house nearby (off the driveway) and it's on a big horizontal slope. It faces south, so the front gets a lot of sun, the back not so much.

Here are some more of the front:

The house itself is situated at the end of a long driveway off the cul-de-sac of the street. There is also an island in the center of the driveway which curves around:

I'm thinking it might look more welcoming if this island was landscaped a little (I can provide more photos of it). So far it's been pretty neglected and is just full of leaves (and some bearded irises I found on the end while raking), which I am trying to remove as I can, but the land is also uneven and hilly. There are some pretty tall oak(?) and pine trees that are very prominent in the space.

An issue I'm concerned about is, since we are practically in the woods is the many creatures that roam through-deer, raccoons, rabbits, etc. Right now all there is in the front are these Boxwoods.

I'm wanting to add something much more visually appealing, in the front, as well as the side:

The larger tree I think looks like Holly but the leaves appear to have been heavily eaten by bugs or something.

And then there is this eyesore in the back of the house behind the deck, which I believe was once a rock garden:

From the back:

Sorry if that's too many pictures (some of the angles were hard to get since it's so tall with the hill) but the property is pretty large and unique, and just needs some TLC. Does anyone have any ideas for me about what I could add (or remove) to make it look better?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (7)