SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pghjezebel_gw

In need of some landscaping design help!

pghjezebel
15 years ago

The slope in front of our house used to be filled with ivy. My husband and I recently tore all the ivy off our front slope and built a small stone wall at the bottom. It looks lovely now, but it's in dire need of landscaping. We had a landscaper work up a plan for us, but it was $$$$ and we weren't too thrilled with some of the plants he chose. So now we're doing it on our own.

I'd like to have a bit of year round color and try and stick to perennials. The area is about 20 x 20 and gets full morning sun, and then partial sun in the afternoon. I like the idea of going with a deep reds/maroons, and maybe some yellow/white. Perhaps a splash or two of deep purples to tie in the existing hydrangeas and lilacs that surround the house?

The original plant list from the landscaper was:

7 Crimson Pygmy Barberry

6 Blue Star Juniper

4 Green Gem Boxwood

8 Autumn Joy Sedum

8 August Moon Hosta

10 Walkers's Low Nepeta

10 Purple Coneflower

10 White Candytuft

14 Moonbeam Coreopsis

The Barberry, neither my husband or I liked due to how thorny it was. I was thinking of substituting Dwarf Korean Lilac's in their place but I think they will be too tall?

And I'm not a fan of Junipers at all.

We loved the boxwood, sedum and hosta's. The Nepeta and coneflower were okay. The Candytuff and Coreopsis didn't wow us, but I liked them more when I added them to the mockup.

I'd also like to add in something that will hang over the rock wall at the bottom.

Here is a photo of the area that I Photoshopped with some of the plants that we liked.

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p97/pghjezebel/house-mockup.jpg

I'd love to hear any advice or ideas anyone has. I'd like to get a move on this project before the weather turns hot! :)

Comments (4)