SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stefanie_shaver3985421

Cost of expanding the back of the house?

Stefanie S.
7 years ago

This would definitely be at least a few years off for us, but in looking at kitchen remodels, I don't think we could get a big island in without expanding the back of the house about 5-8 ft.

How much (approximately) would that cost in the midwest? I calculated it would be about 400 square feet. All on the first level. BUT if we also did another 100 or so square feet on second level we could expand the master bedroom to fit in a bathtub and larger closet. It would involve moving plumbing in kitchen, bathroom. Possibly moving gas line for living room fireplace (it's in a corner now). The floor would need to be redone on that 400 sq feet plus the existing 500 or so living room/kitchen area.

And then additionally some kind of deck/patio space on the back of the house (we have none now). Ideally with french doors leading outside.

We are in the midwest. Is there a way to get a general idea without hiring somebody to draw up plans? Let's say with good quality kitchen finishes.

The master bath not having a bathtub is one of the main things I'd change if we were to stay here forever. That and the dining area is awkwardly small (it's between kitchen and living room).

Comments (5)