SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jrbarnard

Okay folks.. I need some help....rafters

Russ Barnard
7 years ago

Guys,

I need a little assistance figuring out what options I have.

I have a deck going in. I am not sure how to make this roof work without cluttering the deck with posts. I am willing to buy what I need, just need to figure out what that is.

I will post some pictures, ask anything ya like if I am not clear.

First off, I have the bottom of the deck pretty well figured out. Here are the approximate bottom deck post placements, i.e. under the deck. These are all 6x6 treated lumber buried at least 36" deep with concrete. They are spaced no further than 8 feet apart.

The OUTSIDE ones (green ones) are not 6x6. Those are 14-ish foot tall stripped cedar trunks that I will notch at the deck level about 1-2 inches. They should be about 12" thick at that point so will have plenty and I will place a dual 2x8 beam in that notch.

ALL the beams are 2x8's

All the joists are 2x6's and are spaced 18" on center and held by joist holders, not just toe-nailed. All are screwed in.

Ignore that one cross board at the 1/3 mark.. I am not a great artist.. heh.

This will have 2 beams made up of dual 2x8's and staggered 61' across. Each post will have a 4x bracket holding the beam in place.

Along the wall, there will be a header board lagged into the slab in that middle section and the left section.

I will then probably do 1x6x12 red cedar on top of all of that.

NOW.. the hard part. The roof.

I plan to notch and create a double 2x6 beam on top of the outer cedar posts and hole that in by notching and lagging or bolting it.

The real issue is, the garage side sets the depth at 15-16 ft.

If I square it off, the center part is about 18ft.

I am not sure what I can use to span that.

I planned to use 6x6 posts as shown in the same places as the bottom spots, and add a dual 2x6 beam structure along the top with 4x brackets screwed into the top of those and the beam laying inside that.

I am not sure how stable that will be. I also am not sure if I can span that center section by using LVL and laying it across the top of both beams.

Ideas?

Does it make sense?

We really do not get ice much down here, although it has happened in the past. I was thinking a 12/1 or 12/2 slope? I think 12/3 may be a bit much.

I can use whatever for the roof. I was thinking of using radiant barrier 4x8s and then felt and shingles to match the house but can just as easily use a max rib metal roof.

Open to ideas.

I also planned to hang 2 or 3 fans..and some led lights, nothing major.

Thanks for any tips.

Most my roofs were 16" deep, never ran one 18-18.5

Russ

Comment