SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cevamal

Anyone want to design my house?

cevamal
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Well not really. We have a lot and an architect. But so far all of his sketches are variations on the same thing and I'd like to think a little more outside the box. Unfortunately I'm bad at this, so I'm not able to give him much more direction than "something different". I'm hoping the amazing hive mind here will give me some ideas!

We are a family of six. The upstairs will have four kid BRs and a master, but we don't need to worry about that just yet. The basement will have a workshop garage and rec/TV room, but that's also back burner. Right now I want to focus on the main level.

The main level has a daily use garage, LR (fireplace, no TV), open kitchen, dining area (seating 6 daily, 10 regularly, hopefully with built-in storage), second master suite, half bath, pantry, mudroom and laundry closet or room.

The kitchen is far and away the most important room to me. I don't want huge, but I cook & bake nonstop and have a ton of equipment. I hope to store as much as possible (anything that's not super heavy (stand mixer) or used multiple times a week) in the pantry. I'd like an island with seating and ideally two dishwashers and a prep sink in the island. I'm meeting with my kitchen designer next week to start her brainstorming on this, too.

I want lots of space in the pantry and mudroom. We have a lot of stuff to store! Snow pants, winter coats, snow boots, rain boots, lighter jackets, etc.

I don't want a huge elaborate master bedroom or bath. Enough space for a king size bed with nightstands, single walk-in closet with built-ins, no tub, walk-in shower, single sink but a vanity big enough for two.

I also need space for a chest freezer and auxiliary fridge, but I expect they'll end up in the downstairs garage.

I took his latest design and whited out the interior to have a blank slate to brainstorm on.

The locations of the garage and front door are fixed due to topography. He has the kitchen in the east corner to maximize sunlight. The walls are not fixed, but I wanted to leave them in to give a basic framework.

Thoughts, either specific or general? I realize I may not be able to get everything I want, but I certainly want to try!

Comments (44)